Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP, Main drain winterization. Just pour antifreeze down the main?

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP, Main drain winterization. Just pour antifreeze down the main?

Michigan above ground pool.

From my understanding, I just poor RV antifreeze down the plumbing the heads to the main drain. Once I start to see antifreeze coming out of both the main drains into the pool water, I simply shut the valve locking in the antifreeze.

Antifreeze is heavy enough to where it will stay in this main drain and nothing will freeze.

Does this sound right?
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP, Main drain winterization. Just pour antifreeze down the main?

Hi, I don't close my pool or know how. Here is a

Here is an article from Pool School that should help, Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. Looks like it recommends rubber plugs to seal in the antifreeze.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach