Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is my spa doing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is my spa doing?

Hi all! I'm new here. We just finished our new inground pool. It is about 35 ft x 24 ft. We have all pentair equipment. We just started heating our spa and it seems that when the heater is on sometimes the water coming through is very finely aerated. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this. It only happens when the heat is on to the spa and not to the pool. The spa heats very quickly. Here's a pic and I also have a video of it. The pool is a salt pool. The jets were not on at this time. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is my spa doing?

How long has your pool been plastered? I have read where most PB say to wait 30 days before using the heater. I am not sure why...........that might be a good search question.

What did your PB say?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We did wait the 30 days. It was plastered about 45 days ago. We didn't use heat or salt until the correct time.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is good news. Does it do it the whole time the heater is on or just at start up or for a minute or two?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a suction side leak in the spa to me. Air is probably getting into the lines before they enter the pump. Try checking the unions and valves in the suction side of the spa leading up to the pool pump.

1. Does your filter also get a air in it when this is happening? If you open the valve at the top of the filter is it air then water or just water that comes out?

2. Can you run only the spa without the heater on and if so is the result the same?
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

When I run just the spa I don't believe this happens... But I will go check. I will run the heater and check everything. I hope it is not a leak underground. Ugh! That would be a mess!

I'll check the filter valve too.

7. Back To Top    #7

Of course right now it isn't doing it. Weird. It did it two nights in a row. I can't think of what is different.

8. Back To Top    #8

You fixed it!!!
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It got scared because it KNEW you had asked TFP! LOL

My guess is there was some air pockets or such in the lines that just needed a few on/offs to work through.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I'll try it again tonight perhaps and report back again. Seems like it was too much air for the fix to be so simple. But fingers crossed!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    Well I'll try it again tonight perhaps and report back again. Seems like it was too much air for the fix to be so simple. But fingers crossed!
    Yes. You keep getting in that new spa night after night until we solve this once and for all!!!!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.