pump/ filter sizing

Oct 4, 2015
Marietta, GA
Hi. I've been using this forum for almost a year now and am so pleased to find it. The rules have been working pretty well for me, especially when I had to deal with mustard algea. Anyway, we need to buy a new motor but I want to make sure everything matches up (we bought the house 9 months ago). Pool size is 24k gallons, hayward sand filter s244T 300lb, Pentair 1.5hp single speed pump, and SWG. I would like to get a 2 speed pump and am also wondering if we can downgrade in motor size to a 1hp. The online information to determine pump size is overwhelming me, please help :)
I know the skimmer pipe is 2" and the main drain pipe is 1.5". The average feet of head is about 35.

Which is best, a 1.5hp motor or 1hp?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

For a pool that size, having a larger filter would have been recommended, but there is no problem keeping what you have, just will require more frequent cleanings.

Calculating the head loss is non-trivial and is a function of flow rate, not sure how you came up with 35 feet, but I would not worry about it.
You should have no problem with a smaller 1HP 2-speed pump like the Superflo if you do not have any high flow needs like a spa or water features.

A smaller pump will be cheaper to buy and to run. Also do not worry about flow rates and turn overs, they generally do not matter. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.