After the storm.....

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
We headed up to North Carolina Friday night as our property there is on a creek and reports were that it would flood. Luckily, after a weekend of rain the creek is flowing hard, but within its banks.

Now to the house/pool....

We drove back home today. Before I left Friday I dropped the level of the pool to the bottom of the skimmers. When we arrived home the pool was full to the top of the coping, and I assume at some point it overflowed out. My home weather station shows we received 14.10 inches of rain.

As I have posted before, our house is across the street from Lake Murray. While the land slopes down from our house to those across the street, everything around us is higher. So much so that when my house was built they installed a 24" buried culvert to direct water flowing to my yard down to the street/lake.

I have rivers flowing from neighbors yards into mine, but I give the previous owner (builder of the house) credit, he did a good job of finish grading. Everything is,flowing around the pool and house, into the culvert and down to the lake. While I had lots of leaves in the pool, no dirt indicates that the yard did not flood into the pool.

Even with all the rain water my Stenner has kept the FC up, as a matter of fact just short of shock level. (I turned it up before I left). pH is at 7.0 which shows me lots of rain water.....

I'm not going to even bother testing TA, CH or CYA until the monsoon stops and it makes sense to adjust them back to normal. I'm sure it will be time to add more CYA.......

Hope everyone else in the area has fared as well!

I'm in SE VA and was prepared for worst case if the Hurricane headed my way. We got lucky.

I've had several inches of rain but we needed it. The computer models did pretty good with this thing(Euro). The models also nailed it with the persistent rain in SC from the low pressure off the coast. As I type this, you're still getting hammered.

I belong to the South Carolina Disaster Assistance Medical Team (DMAT) and we train up near you Tim on Dreher Island. What a mess everyone is reporting in about! Our son and his wife had just this week put a mess of belongings in to storage in Charleston as they're moving to ATL but thankfully both got their cars up in GA this weekend.

I was just checking in on you Tim and seeing how things are?

We are ok here on the peninsula, although lots of our neighbors and friends aren't. I haven't run a full battery of tests, but I have tested FC, PH and salt (had to add a bag of salt and may have to add more) both FC and PH are good. I'm waiting to do a full battery of tests tomorrow and go from there. I've vacuumed and backwashed and added some cellulose fiber and let's hope I won't have to SLAM.

I was just checking in on you Tim and seeing how things are?

We are ok here on the peninsula, although lots of our neighbors and friends aren't. I haven't run a full battery of tests, but I have tested FC, PH and salt (had to add a bag of salt and may have to add more) both FC and PH are good. I'm waiting to do a full battery of tests tomorrow and go from there. I've vacuumed and backwashed and added some cellulose fiber and let's hope I won't have to SLAM.
Thanks for the thoughts, and I'm glad you are doing OK!

The sun is finally out and I was able to test everything.....

FC 11
PH 7.4
TA 40
CH 250
CYA 40

I guess it's time to dial back the Stenner as I'm no longer afraid of junk getting into the pool. I'll probably leave the CYA where it is for now with the cooler days and the plunge in water temperature.

I think I'll leave the TA alone so I can see how my pH rise is with it down this low. With my sheer decent waterfall the pH is always raising so anything to,slow,it down a little...

The worst of my damage is landscaping. I can't walk anywhere on grass because it's so soft, like a sponge. All around the pool,deck were tall ornamental grasses which have been beaten to the ground. Time to cut those back I guess....

I'll chime in here. We are in eastover. Our pool got spared from overflowing as we set the pump to waste and left it off. But.......... We had.....until Sunday morning a 2acre pond. No more. 350 foot dam looks like someone blew up two sections with dynamite. It is such a sad sight right now but still counting our blessings that our home stayed safe.

If anyone in the midlands is connected to or knows anyone qualified to repair dams, I'd love a contact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.