Polyquat question

Apr 6, 2015
Brunswick/Ohio
I bought proteam brand polyquat 60. I read that I should let by fc level drop to half of shock level before adding polyquat 60 to close pool for winter because high chlorine can reduce/interfer with effectiveness of polyquat 60...however when I looked up proteam polyquat 60 online it says their product is "not affected by high chlorine residuals"...does this mean I don't have to let chlorine go to half shock level?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The information that you find here has been collected and reported on by lots of folks. Plus a number of chem geek type people. Most of what you read on product websites is marketing. If the folks here say do it a certain way, you can rest assured it's been tried, tested and used enough to be the 'right' way.

Where did you read the info about the 50% decrease of FC. I have looked through the closing instructions and don't see it listed.

This is the article I looked at: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Hi Bob. It's mentioned in the In-Ground notes, but not so clearly on the AG page. From the in-ground page::
SLAM - Two or three days before closing, I bring the pool up to shock level and hold it there until FC holds overnight (which it generally does right off on the first night). Then I let the chlorine level fall about half way back to normal levels, typically another day and a half.

Chem Geek has also noted the relationship between FC and Poly on several threads.

I do trust what the people on here say that's why I'm asking. Only my second year with a pool and second time closing. It wasn't on the closing instructions but have seen it mentioned several times by other members replying to other posts regarding using polyquat 60 during closing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are well informed and also well on your way to a clean close and a good chance at a clear open next season.

Thanks Texas for the heads-up. Since this was an AG pool I had not looked at the IG instructions...

See this post for closing instructions from Buckman Labs, the makers of the Polyquat chemical. Chlorine will oxidize Polyquat which is one reason why you need to add it weekly if you are using it as an algaecide during the swim season (the other reason is that it is a mild clarifier so will get caught in the filter if there are particles to coagulate). So you don't want to elevate the chlorine after adding the Polyquat. Instead, you do the opposite where you elevate the chlorine level (if you need to) and let it drop back to normal before adding Polyquat. If you do this when the water is colder, then both the chlorine and the Polyquat will last a lot longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.