Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, first fill - from hot water tap?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, first fill - from hot water tap?

Hi,

This is my first post. I have learned a ton from the TFP website and I'm hoping to be a good contributor here in the future. I already have my TF-100 kit!

We are getting close to completion on our new pool. We'd like to use the pool for a couple of weeks before it gets too cold. Daytime highs are still in the high 80's here in Austin, TX.

We didn't specify a pool heater and I'm thinking about trying to get some heat into the water in the first fill. I don't have a pool heater but I do have a perfectly good regular 50-gallon tank-style domestic water heater rated at 36,000 BTU/hr (the same one that supplies the hot water to my house, of course!)

I am thinking of filling the pool from the hot water tap. Of course I understand that after the first 50 gallons, the water will be barely warm - that same temperature you get when someone else took a shower before you and didn't leave you any hot water. But that's still warmer than the water coming out of the cold water tap, and that's good, right?

I tried to do the math... if I have a 16,000 gallon pool, that's about 133,000 pounds of water.
    If I can get 500 gallons/hr from the hot water tap, I'll fill it in about 32 hours, so that will be 32*36,000 = 1,152,000 BTUs of heat into the water. 1,152,000BTUs/133,000lbs = 8.6 degrees, or maybe a little more than that if the hot water doesn't run that fast.

So by my math, by filling from the hot water tap, I'd be able to increase the temperature of the pool for the first fill by a useful 8.6 degrees compared to filling from the cold water tap.

My poolbuilder said he never heard of anyone trying this. Does anyone have any opinion? Tried it? Warned not to?

Many thanks,

Marc
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, first fill - from hot water tap?

It won't hurt anything but your gas bill.

Be sure to get a solar type cover, though. Most heat loss is at night, since the warmer water rises to the surface where the cold night air is.

Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Have at it but it won't work.

Radiant and evaporative heat loss will probably cancel ALL of the heat gain. Additionally, you will have no hot water for your house
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to the solar cover, from what I have been reading here the cheap ones last pretty much as long as the expensive ones.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all! Solar cover it is... starting to fill on Sunday if all goes well...
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Here's a question, "What is the temp of your cold water?" Your 8.6 rise will be from that. Also, your heater will be running the whole time you are filling. Are they even designed for that?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Marcgr

Besides heat I think the solar cover is also helpful in keeping your chemicals a bit more stable and also keeping some leaves and dirt out.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

So, we filled it up yesterday, air temp in the 80's, water temp 76 straight out of the cold water tap, and we swam!

Solar cover arrives Wednesday, hopefully we'll get a couple of weeks of swimming before it gets too cold...

Thanks again all!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Wow! My cold water is like 50 degrees! No wonder you were thinking of using the water heater.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

So, now I am discovering that my new solar cover is not compatible with my PV3 infloor The infloor directs water on top of the cover when it runs. I will have to figure out a fix for that...

Nevertheless, my water is still 76 degrees, have been swimming in it every day!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Place the solar cover on during the evening and leave it on until the morning. Then after you remove the cover run the filter, etc. I plan on purchasing a cover next year and this is the only thing I can think of. If this PV3 is infloor, where does the water come from? What exactly is it?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013