Torrential Rains in SC overflowed my pool

Uhg. Joaquin was not very nice to you. If your pool does not have overflow relief, you'll have to drain on your own back to your normal water level - probably somewhere with the waterline halfway to 3/4 up the skimmer opening. From there, all you can do is manually remove any debris that may have gone in the pool (that you can see), then check your chemicals by testing with your kit. Adjust as necessary. You will probably need to implement a SLAM as your pool will be struggling with a high combined chlorine level if some contaminants flowed-in the pool. You have the option to drain more water to help clear it faster, but you won't be able to drain it all. In fact, I suspect the higher water table in your area may prevent you from going too low right now, so I'd be very careful about how much you drain. I suspect time, good filtering (cleaning), and chemical adjustments will be the course of action for a while. Eventually a lot of the muck and dirt should settle allowing you to vacuum it better as well. Thanks for posting the video.

TS has you covered. I just wanted to jump in and give you a hug :(

Time, filter, bleach, beer will all work together to get your pool back to clear.

Is this the first time this has happened? I wonder about running a raised wall along that part of your yard in the future to push the water away from the pool. Use the video to show you where the water went and how to redirect.

I am looking at your build now. NEAT stuff!

Kim

Be careful about draining too much as the water begins to recede. When you can start to drain, I would suggest only going right below where your liner goes into the coping. There will still be a lot of pressure from ground water so you want your pool as full as it can be without letting it creep behind the liner at the coping. You don't want your liner to float.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this the first time this has happened? I wonder about running a raised wall along that part of your yard in the future to push the water away from the pool. Use the video to show you where the water went and how to redirect.

This was a 1000 year storm, "in the future" may be several hundred years away. I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again.

Some advice please, Lets presume the pool has dirt and debris in the bottom from the rain runoff.
I have a cartridge filter and a pumpside polaris.
I ran the polaris for five minutes and the bag filled up.
I am going to start scraping the bottom with the net.

Should I run the pump? I know I will have to be cleaning the strainer basket pretty often if I do

Awasoca, I second the trash pump to help clean it with one caveat....you will need to add water as fast as you pump it out, because with the water table so high, you don't want to risk the liner.

So you might be a candidate for "the sheet method" -- which is the safe way to change water in a vinyl liner. Dct Tape together visqueen plastic you can get at home depot, lay it on top of pool (with extra on sides for ultimate depth), add the fresh water on top of it while using trash pump below to get rid of the sludge.

You'll still have to slam, but it will be easier once you get the mud out ;)

Depending on how much storm sludge is in there, you could clog your lines just filtering...in which case (if you're doing it) get a drain snake that works with a hose in case you have to clear the lines.

When I recovered a foreclosure swamp, I'd kept main drain 3/4 closed in beginning to help avoid clogs until I'd gotten much of the debris out. I DIDN'T use a trash pump cause I didn't know about sheet method...but would never go that route again knowing what I now know ;)

Sendin ya the light for a smooth recovery!

P.s. if the soil is uber fine in your area, this may also at a later stage of remedy be a case (they're rare) to actually use Alum floc to clot the fine particles together and let them drop, then vacuum to waste. But that ay be more of a "finishing" step right before Slam to reduce whatever particulate is left -- I wouldn't count on it working with your current load and turbidity.

pPS - I'm sending you imaginary 18 year old scotch, because I don't think beer's gonna cut this one ;)

I dont think this will be as bad as you might imagine. More than anything, its mostly just dirt and mud.
When it stops raining, turn off the pump and let the suspended dirt in the water settle to the bottom for a day or 2, then vacuum to waste. LIkely that you'll have to repeat the process a time or 2 before letting your filter get the last bit.

When you're to the point for the filter to take over, then test to see if you need to slam or not, and go from there.

Update!
I dragged the bottom with the scoop net and managed to get a bunch of debris out. Mostly leaves and straw. After lots of Rum, I decided to turn on the pump. I run a cartridge filter. After a couple hours, I realized I was losing the flow. I popped the cartridges out and between summer swim season and the dirt, they were filthy. I put my spare set in and the water was flowing great. This morning I still have excellent flow and can just see to the bottom of the shallow end. I've got the first set of cartridges clean and will swap out as the flow dictates.
Looking forward to being able to clearly see the shallow end to clean it and ultimately the deep end

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.