I have been perplexed about a leak my pool has had for some time. We have a gunnite hot tub and liner pool.
- Did the bucket test on both pool and hot tub everything running to verify a leak, in 30 hours we lost 1.75 to 2 inches. Conclusion: Leak!
- Did the bucket test on just the pool, draining the hot tub down below the returns, same results. Conclusion: Hot tub not leaking
- Did the bucket test on just the pool, drain cover removed, drain pipe plugged with one of Leslie's stoppers, all returns plugged with winterizing threaded plugs with Teflon tape and rubber o-ring, both skimmers plugged with gizmos with Teflon tape. Conclusion: Plumbing is OK.
This is where I am at, I can already tell based on the last 5 hours that I am still losing water at about the same rate that I was losing it before, so tomorrow evening I expect to be down about 1.75 to 2 inches.
I have done the following tests (before I even started step one above)
- Pump off, dye test, dropped in from outside the pool, above and in front of all items attached to the pool liner, i.e. skimmers, rope hook, returns, light. Dye did not seem to move at all
- Took the light off dye in the light socket, very hard to tell if it was moving as I could not hold breath long, but seamed to be OK.
- Have fixed 5 holes that I could find on the bottom of the pool over the summer. Last fix was probably 4 weeks ago, 3 of these were hard to find.
- Main drain lid removed for plug, but looks OK, no cracks, dye did not seam to trace anywhere
What else I know, or think I know...
- Last season we were new at this but remember thinking we seemed to be adding lots of water, but after we winterized the pool, (water below skimmers and rope hook, but above returns and light) it seemed to hold its water all winter.
- I am 80% sure there are no more holes, but I really need to wear contacts (I wear glasses and can't wear glasses when I am swimming) when I snorkel and search the bottom.
So... Looking for recommendations on what I could be doing wrong, or where I should look next or whatever... Getting ready to close the pool in a week or so anyway.