Hole size vs finished pool size

Jan 20, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
They just finished digging the hole for my pool, and it's way larger than the drawing. How much will the hole close up when they do the rebar, shotcrete, etc? I have emailed the builder, but being it is the weekend, I don't expect a quick response. I'm especially concerned because the opening is very close to my house. Per the drawing, it should be 5'6" from the house, but when I measure the actual hole, it's more like 4'.

edit: just read through my contact again, and they call out "minimum 6 inch" wall thickness with 8" in stress areas. How thick can they make the shotcrete? Can it be made thick enough to close the distance from 4' to 5'6"?

No they wouldn't make the shotcrete that thick. However they could put up a wall like they do for a raised beam or wall above grade. Then shoot up against that. Just make sure to get an onsite meeting with your PB before rebar. The rebar is usually immediately after the dig. Sometimes the next day.

You should count on your builder to help you understand. The pool wall needs to be accessible from both sides. Then, they will put in backfill to fill in behind the outside wall.

No, I think he just had a different pool type in mind.

In your case there may be backfill though because they will need to build a temporary wall to shoot against since they over excavated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.