Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hole size vs finished pool size

1. Back To Top    #1

Hole size vs finished pool size

They just finished digging the hole for my pool, and it's way larger than the drawing. How much will the hole close up when they do the rebar, shotcrete, etc? I have emailed the builder, but being it is the weekend, I don't expect a quick response. I'm especially concerned because the opening is very close to my house. Per the drawing, it should be 5'6" from the house, but when I measure the actual hole, it's more like 4'.

edit: just read through my contact again, and they call out "minimum 6 inch" wall thickness with 8" in stress areas. How thick can they make the shotcrete? Can it be made thick enough to close the distance from 4' to 5'6"?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hole size vs finished pool size

No they wouldn't make the shotcrete that thick. However they could put up a wall like they do for a raised beam or wall above grade. Then shoot up against that. Just make sure to get an onsite meeting with your PB before rebar. The rebar is usually immediately after the dig. Sometimes the next day.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is 12 inches thick and it seems very thick. I wouldn't think it would go much larger than that.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You should count on your builder to help you understand. The pool wall needs to be accessible from both sides. Then, they will put in backfill to fill in behind the outside wall.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You should count on your builder to help you understand. The pool wall needs to be accessible from both sides. Then, they will put in backfill to fill in behind the outside wall.
    this isn't a preformed pool, it's going to be rebar, shotcrete, built into the ground. I don't think there is any backfill, is there?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

No, I think he just had a different pool type in mind.

In your case there may be backfill though because they will need to build a temporary wall to shoot against since they over excavated.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!