Close pool or keep open during winter in Florids

Fugazi

Apr 9, 2015
Saint Augustine Fl
I live in north Florida and this will be my first winter as a pool owner.

Is it better to keep it running add chemicals over the winter since it doesn't freeze or just cover it with a pool cover?

I don't have a pool cover and have a kidney shaped pool.

So which is better?

If to cover where is the best place to get a cover and not to sound ignorant but how do you use the cover?

Thanks for. Your help

As Duraleigh stated you should not close it during the winter. We keep ours open year round. Our pool is very visible from our house and is like a second living space. I would hate to be looking at a green pool during the off season. Your chemical use should go way down. We have a SWCG and in the summer it is run at 60% for 10 hours a day. During the winter we run it at 10% for around five hours a day. Our neighbor lets his green up during the winter and every spring we here him cursing his pool as he tries to get it ready for his kids. Meanwhile ours is always ready. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I'm in South Florida and mine stays open all year. The only difference is that I don't heat the pool during the winter. The pool is well shaded and it gets too expensive for my tastes. I will heat it for a weekend party or just heat the spa when needed. Otherwise the operation remains the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.