Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Close pool or keep open during winter in Florids

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Augustine Fl

Close pool or keep open during winter in Florids

I live in north Florida and this will be my first winter as a pool owner.

Is it better to keep it running add chemicals over the winter since it doesn't freeze or just cover it with a pool cover?

I don't have a pool cover and have a kidney shaped pool.

So which is better?

If to cover where is the best place to get a cover and not to sound ignorant but how do you use the cover?

Thanks for. Your help
    Fresh Warer pool15k gallons
    Pentair Clean and Clear RP filter
    Pentair 320 chlorine filter
    1? Hp pump/Pentair Great White vaccum/TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Close pool or keep open during winter in Florids

There is no reason to close your pool in your climate. Keep it open and operate as usual.....keeping FC and CYA at normal levels.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mandeville, Louisiana

As Duraleigh stated you should not close it during the winter. We keep ours open year round. Our pool is very visible from our house and is like a second living space. I would hate to be looking at a green pool during the off season. Your chemical use should go way down. We have a SWCG and in the summer it is run at 60% for 10 hours a day. During the winter we run it at 10% for around five hours a day. Our neighbor lets his green up during the winter and every spring we here him cursing his pool as he tries to get it ready for his kids. Meanwhile ours is always ready. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Weston, FL

I'm in South Florida and mine stays open all year. The only difference is that I don't heat the pool during the winter. The pool is well shaded and it gets too expensive for my tastes. I will heat it for a weekend party or just heat the spa when needed. Otherwise the operation remains the same.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Amelia Island, FL

I'm just up the road a bit. We were a new build last winter and used that time to get the chemicals in check. This won't we will do the same, but it really is lower maintenance when no one is using it.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Tallahassee, FL

Open year round just over the road from you. We do run the pump if it is going to hard freeze overnight. Other than that run pump, add chlorine every day, enjoy the sight of a clear pool!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!