Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should Inlet Check Valve Hold Water Overnight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should Inlet Check Valve Hold Water Overnight?

I have a check valve on the inlet side of the main pump. When the pump starts up after sitting overnight, there is a lot of air in the system. I suspect water is back flowing through the check valve overnight. I have small leaks at the heater inlet/outlet and the booster pump inlet. I suspect air is getting in there as it backflows through the check valve.

Should the check valve seal be good enough to prevent all water flow overnight?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should Inlet Check Valve Hold Water Overnight?

It should be, but they go bad over time. Also, debris can get in the valves and prevent a good seal.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, James! I'll take it apart first to be sure there is no debris. If none, I'll rebuild/replace valve.

Cheers!
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

How far above your pool is the pump? Even without a check valve, the pipe should not be able to drain back to the pool unless you have an air leak somewhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The poster does note that the system does have air leaks. Fixing the air leaks would help.