Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaining pool temperature?

1. Back To Top    #1

Maintaining pool temperature?

Hi guys,

I was speaking to my PB tonight and he asked the temperature of the water, it's currently at 79F. I live in Los Angeles County, the warmest the pool became was 88F. My PB mentioned that if I set the heater at 84F, it will maintain that temperature automatically and we can swim into the fall/winter months. He said the pool heater won't constantly be on, so it won't be a major source of energy usage. It will just turn on to maintain the temperature.

So what do the people of TFP think? Should I do that? I have Jandy equipment with the Aqualink PDA. On the PDA do I set the temperature of the pool heater at 84F and just leave it?

Will it really not use that much electricity?

Thanks,
    Emil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maintaining pool temperature?

Having a cover would help tremendously with heat retention ... which will make the heater have to run less.

What kind of heater do you have? Heating a pool is never cheap.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't put a cover, the pool is a freeform shape.
    The heater is a Jandy Pro JXI Natural Gas Pool Heater JXI260N and the pump is a Jandy SHPF2.0 Stealth Energy Efficient High Head 2HP Full Rated Single Speed Pool Pump, 230V.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    How "free" is that freeform ? You don't have to cover the entire surface to retain heat, and the cover doesn't have to be in one piece either.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Heating a pool is never cheap.
    It is impossible to say that any better.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    The heater is a Jandy Pro JXI Natural Gas Pool Heater JXI260N and the pump is a Jandy SHPF2.0 Stealth Energy Efficient High Head 2HP Full Rated Single Speed Pool Pump, 230V.
    I have a freeform pool and I use a cover.

DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Depending on how many gallons your pool is and what the weather is each day will dictate how much the pump and heater will run. The heater uses natural gas, so your gas bill will go up along with your electric. I suppose if you are swimming every day for a few hours then heating it may be worth it. I see the pool as a useless money pit over the winter (actually most of the year). Way too expensive to heat it regularly. My spa heats up in about 15 minutes so that is worth using. I don't have enough money to keep my pool heated all the time. You might try it for a month and see how it goes. I don't think there is anyone here who can predict what it will cost.....besides the one comment that heating a pool is never cheap.
    -Shotcrete Pool. Pebble Sheen. Tile by Dal Tile CW27 Winter Blues. Pool dimensions 45x19 24,360 gallons. Spa dimensions 7x7 825 gallons. -Hayward Equipment: OmniLogic, Main filter pump Ecostar SP3400VSP, Spa pump Ecostar SP3400VSP, Filter 700sq ft Cartridge Filter HCF7030C, T-Cell 15 SWG, GVA 24 valve actuators, Universal ColorLogic 12v LED lights, H500FDN Natural Gas 500,000 BTU heater, TF100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Go with solar, way cheaper than a heat pump, lasts longer if you go with a heliocol system. And your heat pump doesn't have to work so hard in the winter months if the solar isn't reaching the desired temp

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Solarseth View Post
    Go with solar, way cheaper than a heat pump, lasts longer if you go with a heliocol system. And your heat pump doesn't have to work so hard in the winter months if the solar isn't reaching the desired temp
    I think is is oversimplified a bit. Solar will cost way more than trying a simple cover. They already have the heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!