Acid Washing

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
I have had my pool for over 6 months now and I have balanced my pool the TFP way. I test it regularly to make sure I'm balanced. Last week, I noticed more white spots on the floor of my pool and steps. I called my PB, who came to my pool and told me that my pool looks good. He said I was doing everything right and sometimes these things happen. He was talking kind of fast but basically he told me he needed to add acid to my pool. I asked him if it was called acid washing and he said no. He told me what it was but I forgot.

Two days ago, he came by and turned off my pool equipment. He put some kind of pump into my pool and plugged it into an outlet. He poured 6 gallons of MA into my pool. Today, he removed the pump and turned my equipment back on. Unfortunately, I was at work so I couldn't talk to him. I will call him tomorrow to ask questions.

The pool looks a whole lot better. There are still some white spots but most of it is gone. So I then tested the water and my numbers are off. My question to you guys is regarding CH. My CH is 380. Is it ok to leave it at this level? I know the range is 250-350 so I'm not that far off but I'm just trying to make sure the white spots don't come back again.

Also, does anyone know how I got the white spots and how I can prevent it from coming back? \

My numbers prior to the "acid wash":
Cl: 5.0
pH: 7.6
TA:70
CH: 300
CYA: 40

My numbers after the "acid wash":
Cl: 0.5 (I was told not to add Cl during the process. As soon as he was done, I added Cl)
pH: probably less than 7.0 (Taylor test kit does not go below 7.0)
TA: 100
CH: 380
CYA: less than 20 (Taylor test kit does not go below 20)

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.