Question about cartridge to DE conversion

Sep 23, 2015
NJ
Recently had to take a closer look at my filter ( I have a Sta-Rite S8M500 -- 20k gal pool) and in doing so I realized I have to replace my cartridge next summer. Looking at the prices, they cost a big chunk of money ($500 for the set). That's when I came across a star rite DE filter that has a cartridge looking filter (but it's still DE !!). It looks like it has all the benefits of both DE and Cartridge worlds. I'm talking about a S7MD60 or 72. So I started wondering, is there any way of converting my cartridge filter to DE? Has anyone done it? Any pros or cons of this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I came across the following that makes me think it might be possible. The cost of these parts + a new multi port valve would come around ~$500.

--Elbow and bulkhead assembly --
Amazon.com : Pentair 23910-1100S Modular Conversion Kit Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

--DE filter --
Amazon.com : Pentair 25023-0160S D.E. Element Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series Modular Pool and Spa D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

Initially that's what I thought too (ie. I wouldn't be able to BW the filter). However, in reading about these model filter (link below), supposedly you are able to BW them. You have a good point about where to BW the DE. I'll have to check with the city to make sure I don't get in trouble if I were to do this. I know some neighbors BW to the street but I don't know if that's okay. But if it is, I can try to do that or BW to my backyard. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/filters-de-system-3-modular-de-filters-smd-series-171.htm

Very interesting idea. If my totally oversized filter didn't do such a good job, I would seriously look into this. Just being able to BW and not have to tear the thing down would be great! That's one thing I miss with cartridge filters. But with the switch to DE you can BW, recharge and be good to go. Love it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.