Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about cartridge to DE conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about cartridge to DE conversion

Recently had to take a closer look at my filter ( I have a Sta-Rite S8M500 -- 20k gal pool) and in doing so I realized I have to replace my cartridge next summer. Looking at the prices, they cost a big chunk of money ($500 for the set). That's when I came across a star rite DE filter that has a cartridge looking filter (but it's still DE !!). It looks like it has all the benefits of both DE and Cartridge worlds. I'm talking about a S7MD60 or 72. So I started wondering, is there any way of converting my cartridge filter to DE? Has anyone done it? Any pros or cons of this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I came across the following that makes me think it might be possible. The cost of these parts + a new multi port valve would come around ~$500.

--Elbow and bulkhead assembly --
    Amazon.com : Pentair 23910-1100S Modular Conversion Kit Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

--DE filter --
    Amazon.com : Pentair 25023-0160S D.E. Element Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series Modular Pool and Spa D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Question about cartridge to DE conversion

Yes, I've done that conversion with that filter. You add in the grids and manifold and a push/pull BW valve. A replumb also.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi OldPoolMan,

Did you use this new style SMD cartridge or the vertical grids one? I guess both might work as long as you get the right manifold,etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, you can't BW a cartridge filter so that defeats the purpose. I used the vertical grid configuration in the three filters I converted. Also, where you BW the filter DE is an issue that must be considered.

5. Back To Top    #5

Initially that's what I thought too (ie. I wouldn't be able to BW the filter). However, in reading about these model filter (link below), supposedly you are able to BW them. You have a good point about where to BW the DE. I'll have to check with the city to make sure I don't get in trouble if I were to do this. I know some neighbors BW to the street but I don't know if that's okay. But if it is, I can try to do that or BW to my backyard. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...series-171.htm

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Very interesting idea. If my totally oversized filter didn't do such a good job, I would seriously look into this. Just being able to BW and not have to tear the thing down would be great! That's one thing I miss with cartridge filters. But with the switch to DE you can BW, recharge and be good to go. Love it!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Yea, these SMD filter look great. The best of both worlds. At least on paper . I came across this youtube video. But it does look like in this case it was not setup for BW. But you can see how doing a thorough cleaning, is as easy as cleaning a cartridge filter.

Sta-Rite System 3 Modular DE Pool Filter Cleaning- Model S7MD60 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Resnick View Post
    Yea, these SMD filter look great. The best of both worlds. At least on paper . I came across this youtube video. But it does look like in this case it was not setup for BW. But you can see how doing a thorough cleaning, is as easy as cleaning a cartridge filter.

Sta-Rite System 3 Modular DE Pool Filter Cleaning- Model S7MD60 - YouTube
    Resnick, did you do this conversion? I have the same filter S8M500 and want to convert. Cleaning these cartridges is a PIA.