Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about cartridge to DE conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about cartridge to DE conversion

Recently had to take a closer look at my filter ( I have a Sta-Rite S8M500 -- 20k gal pool) and in doing so I realized I have to replace my cartridge next summer. Looking at the prices, they cost a big chunk of money ($500 for the set). That's when I came across a star rite DE filter that has a cartridge looking filter (but it's still DE !!). It looks like it has all the benefits of both DE and Cartridge worlds. I'm talking about a S7MD60 or 72. So I started wondering, is there any way of converting my cartridge filter to DE? Has anyone done it? Any pros or cons of this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I came across the following that makes me think it might be possible. The cost of these parts + a new multi port valve would come around ~$500.

--Elbow and bulkhead assembly --
    Amazon.com : Pentair 23910-1100S Modular Conversion Kit Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

--DE filter --
    Amazon.com : Pentair 25023-0160S D.E. Element Replacement Sta-Rite System 3 SMD-Series Modular Pool and Spa D.E. Filter : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Question about cartridge to DE conversion

Yes, I've done that conversion with that filter. You add in the grids and manifold and a push/pull BW valve. A replumb also.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi OldPoolMan,

Did you use this new style SMD cartridge or the vertical grids one? I guess both might work as long as you get the right manifold,etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, you can't BW a cartridge filter so that defeats the purpose. I used the vertical grid configuration in the three filters I converted. Also, where you BW the filter DE is an issue that must be considered.

5. Back To Top    #5

Initially that's what I thought too (ie. I wouldn't be able to BW the filter). However, in reading about these model filter (link below), supposedly you are able to BW them. You have a good point about where to BW the DE. I'll have to check with the city to make sure I don't get in trouble if I were to do this. I know some neighbors BW to the street but I don't know if that's okay. But if it is, I can try to do that or BW to my backyard. Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...series-171.htm

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Very interesting idea. If my totally oversized filter didn't do such a good job, I would seriously look into this. Just being able to BW and not have to tear the thing down would be great! That's one thing I miss with cartridge filters. But with the switch to DE you can BW, recharge and be good to go. Love it!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Yea, these SMD filter look great. The best of both worlds. At least on paper . I came across this youtube video. But it does look like in this case it was not setup for BW. But you can see how doing a thorough cleaning, is as easy as cleaning a cartridge filter.

Sta-Rite System 3 Modular DE Pool Filter Cleaning- Model S7MD60 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Resnick View Post
    Yea, these SMD filter look great. The best of both worlds. At least on paper . I came across this youtube video. But it does look like in this case it was not setup for BW. But you can see how doing a thorough cleaning, is as easy as cleaning a cartridge filter.

Sta-Rite System 3 Modular DE Pool Filter Cleaning- Model S7MD60 - YouTube
    Resnick, did you do this conversion? I have the same filter S8M500 and want to convert. Cleaning these cartridges is a PIA.