Water Pumping out continuously when I disconnect Intellichlor

May 12, 2015
Raleigh, NC
OK this may sound dumb, but I am trying to acid wash my intellichlor IC-40 but when I disconnect it water comes out of the pipe continuously. I thought it would end but after 10 mins it still comes out like crazy (I was giving it 10 mins to acid wash..but also I seem to have failed at that as no bubbling occurred and the intellichlor trips my breaker immediately). Any idea why the water would still be coming out of that pipe? I flipped all of the circuit breakers so nothing had power. I have 2 valves going to my pump and shut both off. I set my filter to closed. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
Greg

Welcome to TFP!

I'm going to assume the IC is installed below the level of the pool. To remove it you need valves in the return lines. Right now when you remove it the water is probably flowing backwards from the returns. Just shutting the suction side and the pump down won't stop the water flow from the return side.

Hmm yeah I am learning a lot more as I go. Surprisingly it actually looks to me like it is above the pool level...but pretty close so maybe I'm wrong. So I've figured out that when I disconnect the IC40 the water is running backwards from the booster pump, any idea if there's a way to shut that valve off from the booster pump itself (I don't seem to have a valve on the piping to or from the booster pump)? The configuration is pipe from pool to booster pump, then booster pump has a return pipe that joins with the return from the IC40 (so they make a T and then go back to the pool). I haven't tried this yet but next time I disconnect it I'm going to pull the cleaner out of the pool to see if that stops the flow too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.