Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem With Pool Clarity

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem With Pool Clarity

Hello pool interwebs,
    I am currently experiencing a problem with my pools clarity. I have a 33,000 gallon indoor pool with a 1.25 hp pump and a sta-rite d.e filter. We have had the pool for a little over a year. For the first few months we had a pool guy who told us to use pucks and he would come and shock the pool every time he would come. Then we fired him and I started taking care of the pool . I switched to cal-hypo and hadn't had a problem yet. 3.5 months ago we cleaned the filter and that went OK. Now for the past week we have had clarity issues. The top of the water has a film and is bubbling. There is some white string like things. Here are my test ressults using a Taylor k2005.
    F.C=25
    Ph=7.4
    TA=90
    CH=750
    CYA=200-220
    Temp=80
    Any help would be very appreciated.
    Indoor Gunite 33,000 Gallon Pool. Sta-Rite D.E Filter 60sqft. 1.25hp sta-Rite pump. Automated Pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Problem With Pool Clarity

I got some good news and some not so good news

- - - Updated - - -

The good news is we can help you fix this. The not so good news is, you might have to drain at least 3/4 of your pool.

For an indoor pool your cya should not be over 30

- - - Updated - - -

The use of pucks has driven your cya so high that it's unmaningable.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get 25 FC from a Taylor 2005? I think it only goes up to like 5 or maybe 10...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the quick response. I knew I partial drain was inevitable but I thought I could get the CYA down to around 150 with a 1/4 drain and then drop it down a little more with the bioactive reducer. 33,000 gallons is a lot of water and it seems like an awful waste to get ride of pretty much all the water. But then clarity issue you think is directly related to the CYA? Even with that high of a Free Chlorine? Once again I appreciate the help.
    Indoor Gunite 33,000 Gallon Pool. Sta-Rite D.E Filter 60sqft. 1.25hp sta-Rite pump. Automated Pool cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I just checked and unfortunately it's more like 80 -90% drain and fill. Ouch!

- - - Updated - - -

Bio active has not shown to work in real life testing here on this forum. Quite a few have tried with little or no success

- - - Updated - - -

That amount of FC is the bare minimum for that level of cya. All it would take is for it to drop a little and you would be in trouble with algae and sanitation.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

The cloudy water is related to lack of chlorine in relation to your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. With cloudy water the next step is an algae bloom. Also, the cal-hypo is driving up your CH. I would either switch to bleach/liquid chlorine or convert to saltwater. Trichlor pucks and cal-hypo are not good long term ways to chlorinate your pool. Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

More here on managing your water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The Taylor K-2005 only goes to 10ppm. How did you get 25??

- - - Updated - - -

Oh BTW Welcome to TFP!! We ARE glad you came here.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    The Taylor K-2005 only goes to 10ppm. How did you get 25??

- - - Updated - - -

Oh BTW Welcome to TFP!! We ARE glad you came here.
    I did a test diluated with distilted water according to the instructions in the kitchen.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think it would be worth it to do a full drain and fill with fresh water? Also there was some yellow stuff in therl skimmer when I went to clean it. Is that dead algae?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Good for you! Most folks don't know about that. It does cut the accuracy down so even though you are coming up with 25 it could just as easily be 20 or 30...

I really can't think of a reason it wouldn't be your best option at this point.

Most likely algae, but could have been just normal stuff that collects from people and the air.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all for the help. I will most likely be draining the entire pool this weekend. I will continue to update the forum. Thank you for all the help!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

While all that's going on I suggest you read a few things in Pool School so you'll be ready to start your new adventure when your pool is ready for you.

Remember, no more pucks. All you need is common bleach from the grocery store, and maybe a little pH adjustment now and then. That's all the is usually needed for 90% of the pool we deal with.

11. Back To Top    #11

While all that's going on I suggest you read a few things in Pool School so you'll be ready to start your new adventure when your pool is ready for you.

Remember, no more pucks. All you need is common bleach from the grocery store, and maybe a little pH adjustment now and then. That's all the is usually needed for 90% of the pool we deal with.
    Yeah I know I have go to stop the pucks. I had tried bleach for a while but I saw it wasn't to effective, but I guess that is because of the extremely high CYA. We have very soft water(80), do you think it would be ok to use the cal-hypo up until the CH is around 300? I have a 1/4 of the container left and I would like to use it up. I will most definitely be using bleach after the drain though if you think the cal-hypo is no good.

12. Back To Top    #12

Also I am a professional painter, so do you think it would be worth my while to paint the pool?

13. Back To Top    #13

It is ok to to let your CH go up to 500 or more as long as you manage your TA, PH and your CSI score in Poolmath. There are people in hard water areas with CH at 800-1000 or more that are doing ok with it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Our philosophy is you are free to use whatever, as long as you understand the effects and are willing to deal with them. So the cal-hypo is fine for you, since you know what it's going to do. Also, you will want some CYA up to 20 is okay. You need it to buffer the FC. Then use the FC/CYA chart to decide your correct target for FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about the painting though. Maybe there is someone else here who will chime in soon.

15. Back To Top    #15

Our philosophy is you are free to use whatever, as long as you understand the effects and are willing to deal with them. So the cal-hypo is fine for you, since you know what it's going to do. Also, you will want some CYA up to 20 is okay. You need it to buffer the FC. Then use the FC/CYA chart to decide your correct target for FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about the painting though. Maybe there is someone else here who will chime in soon.
    Thank you, I may use it a little just to get the CH up, but I will not be using it permanently. I will be using bleach.
    I may or may not paint it, I guess I will decide when I see the pool empty.thank you for all your help.

16. Back To Top    #16

Bob has you covered. What he is saying is spot on.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Hello again
    We are currently in the process of draining the pool. We have a hose spicket in the pool control room and the water drains gravity feed, so it is taking forever to drain. Our submersible pump just failed so it may take a few days. I will keep you updated.

18. Back To Top    #18

We have a pool that was presumably painted sometime last March. (The selling realtor did not provide any information.) Upon professional inspection we were told that painting is a temporary solution. Looks good for a while but deterorates quickly.

After muc searching on the net and here at TFT we learned that even if it is good quality paint, designed for pools, properly applied, it will likely flake off and require some other solution within 2-3 years. I can tell you that we are seeing more and more bubbling on the walls just one year later. Not yet a problem for the filter catching the particles but I am keeping close watch.

For background, temperatures have been between 80 and up to 106 here in Pittsburg, CA since June. Plastic bubble wrap cover is on at night and days when we are not swimming. Maintenance has been no different than plaster pools: brushing, vacuuming, nightly pumping with cartridge filter, and of course chlorine at recommended TFT levels for CYA. No other chemicals.

The same inspector estimated that it will cost $5 - 7,000 to resurface the pool, assuming no additional work is needed to patch or repair.

I would recommend against painting.
    ==============
    semi rectangular ~ 12,000 gal pool, fiberglass built in 1983, painted 2014.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS6 1.5 HP, Crystal Water cartridge filter, using TF-100 test kit, bleach per TFP