Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't unscrew bolts on rail

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't unscrew bolts on rail

Hi all. Here I am, trying to close my pool without a company for the first time. And, I've encountered my first show stopper. I'm trying to remove the bolts on the hand rails, and 3 out of 4 bolts unscrewed fine. But this last bolt is a nightmare. I tried a socket and adjustable wrench, and nothing. I've wiggled and pulled and yelled, and nothing. Before giving up to bandage my bloodied knuckles, I did spray some wd40 in hopes that soaking in the spray will help.

Are there are tricks out there to help?
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't unscrew bolts on rail

Well If that happen to me I would head to the shed and get the sawsall. It may not be the best solution but it makes me feel better after bloody knuckles. Or try some PB blaster on it.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a chance it is cross threaded?
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

At the risk of sounding uneducated, what does cross threaded mean?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Cross-threaded is when a bolt is screwed in without the threads being lined up properly. With a power driver, you can force the bolt to screw in but then the threads are crossed each other instead of interleaved. Makes removing the bolt almost impossible.

On railing bolts, usually crud gets in there and makes it hard to remove them. What I've read is folks will use a garden hose or even a pressure washer to make sure the area is cleaned out, then wd-40 or pb-blaster overnight.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Try WD-40 first after allowing it to soak an hour or so. I actually spray everything with WD-40 as I am installing the bolts in the spring. Make sure after the bolt is up, to bang down slightly to remove rails. It disengages the lock. Keep us posted!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi all. So, I spray it with WD40, waited overnight and still couldn't get the bolt to move. I then bought an attachment for my power drill to connect the socket. This worked and without the drill, I would not have been able to get it fixed. There was still a fair amount of pulling and wiggling that I needed to accomplish to get this all done. I think that it wasn't seated properly to begin with and after an entire pool season of use, the bolt was all messed up. I guess my next step is cleaning the railing seats up before the winter comes.
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

The bolts usually screw into a wedge that is pulled up against the railing to hold it in place. You need to be sure that everything is clean and free of any sand or grit when they are installed. Never over tighten. When removing I would blast it with my pressure washer then wait a couple days to let it dry out. Then soak with some PB Blaster or WD40. Let it set over night, then try to loosen a turn or two and tap on the top of the bolt. It only needs to move down just a bit to free the wedge and release the railing.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

When you get it out, coat all bolts with a thin layer of grease for the winter, then clean them up a little before you open!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner