Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is one pump sufficient?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is one pump sufficient?

Hi everyone! New to TFP. I've been stalking the site for some time getting ideas, but we just recently began construction on our own pool.

My question is about my pump. My PB has convinced me that only the single pump is necessary for my setup. He said the intelliflo will do a great job with both the pool and the spa. We don't have any extra water features except for a couple bubblers on the baja shelf. I'm concerned though that by having only a single pump we might be limiting ourselves to what can be run all at one time. Your advice is appreciated.
    18'x32' Rectangle (3.5'-6') Baja shelf and 8'x8' spa- 18K gallons, white quartz plaster
    Pentair equipment (Clean and Clear 520, Intellichlor IC40, Intelliflo VS, MasterTemp 400k BTU, EasyTouch 8 w/ wireless controler, Glo-Brite x4)
    Coverstar auto cover, Paramount PV3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is one pump sufficient?

How many jets are your planning for the spa and what is the flow rate requirement per jet? That is the most important factor. Too many spa jets at high flow rates and the single pump with filter and heater in line may not be able to support it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I have 9 jets in my spa and have Pentair 3hp VS. I run the spa at 3400rpm and it ROCKS but can lower the rpm for general pool skimmer action and increase rpm for when the cleaner is running. All in all very flexable.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The Intelliflo will handle tour pool and spa needs. Usually I recommend that my clients get a different pump for their water features that will give you the flexibility that you need

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate all the advice. It puts my mind at ease. I wouldn't have worried about it all except the PB we chose was the only one of 4 that didn't include a separate pump just for the spa.

There will be 8 jets, not sure of the flow rate.

Thanks again everyone, coming from someone who is getting their first pool this site has been so helpful.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will the PV3 be on its own pump? We have a separate pump for our PV3.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bdrums View Post
    Will the PV3 be on its own pump? We have a separate pump for our PV3.

Interesting thing happened today when I met with my PB. He is going to use a second pump after all. The variable speed will run the pool and the second pump will run the spa. Not sure on the exact size of the second yet, but this setup will definitely work better. I can rest easy now and not worry that there may be a problem later down the line. (I wonder if my post on here had anything to do with it? Maybe he's a TFP member.)

BTW, how do you like your PV3 system? I was on the fence for a long time, but it seems that there are more satisfied customers than those who have had problems.
    18'x32' Rectangle (3.5'-6') Baja shelf and 8'x8' spa- 18K gallons, white quartz plaster
    Pentair equipment (Clean and Clear 520, Intellichlor IC40, Intelliflo VS, MasterTemp 400k BTU, EasyTouch 8 w/ wireless controler, Glo-Brite x4)
    Coverstar auto cover, Paramount PV3

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Markb81 View Post
    BTW, how do you like your PV3 system? I was on the fence for a long time, but it seems that there are more satisfied customers than those who have had problems.
    Our pool isn't finished so I don't have direct experience with it. Yet. Once I found out about Paramount, it became a requirement for us. Never considered my pool without one. Because I'm lazy. Haha.

Good luck!
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.