Leaking Pool Skimmer Recommendations

Aug 14, 2015
Plano, TX
Hi All,

Last week I noticed that the water was dropping much quicker than usual in my pool. I filled it on Sunday and marked the water level, and by Monday evening it had already dropped an inch and a half. I did the usual and scanned the forums for recommendations, but after exhausting the easy fixes I went ahead and scheduled a visit from a leak detection company.

The leak detection company had a 10-day wait, so in the meantime I decided to shut off the skimmer intake and let the water level continue to drop so that I could try and diagnose the problem myself. Long story short, the water level dropped right below the skimmer and has remained at that same level for the past few days. The inside of the skimmer is bone dry, so I am pretty confident that the skimmer is my problem.

Now the question; I called the leak detection service and they said they still recommend doing the leak detection to eliminate other problems and to be sure that is the issue. I'm not convinced that I need to do the leak detection any longer and would rather put the money towards replacing/repairing the skimmer. What would you suggest?

Another note; I know that it going be the intake pipe under the skimmer and not the skimmer itself, but I will likely dig that up and replace it anyways (the skimmer is only about 3-4 feet from my pump so it's not a huge amount of additional effort to dig up and replace the whole pipe if I have to dig up the skimmer anyways. Plus I want to replace the 1 1/2in pipe with a 2in diameter to match the above-ground plumbing that has already been replaced with 2in).

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.