Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Empty Pool over winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Empty Pool over winter

I'm planning to renovate my IG pool with new plaster, tile and coping. Some contractors want to split the job in two, doing tile and coping in fall and the plaster in the spring. The pool would be left empty over the winter. There are no apparent high-water table issues in my area (NJ), but I still have some concerns as to the pool popping from the ground. Any thoughts on the advisability of this approach?

Thanks,
    Rit
    34K gal; IG gunite/plaster pool; kidney shaped; Pentair DE filter; single-speed pump; Polaris cleaner; built 1982; New Jersey

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Empty Pool over winter

Drill a few holes in it after emptying it. This will allow ground water to enter a create equilibrium. Then the plaster guys will fill them up.

You may also be able to install hydrostatic valves during the renovation as well. Not sure how adding them after construction works though.

Or you can fill the pool up 2/3rds to hold it down.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Empty Pool over winter

Thanks for the feedback. I just wonder how common this split season approach is. I can see how it can help keep a schedule full, given the dead period we have during the winter here.
    34K gal; IG gunite/plaster pool; kidney shaped; Pentair DE filter; single-speed pump; Polaris cleaner; built 1982; New Jersey