Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slow death of a cell (slow salt readings)

1. Back To Top    #1

Vienna, VA

Slow death of a cell (slow salt readings)

Hi all,

So I've read on here before that one of the symptoms of a dying SWG cell is that the salt level reads lower than reality. Knowing this could be the case I picked up a Taylor Salt test kit from TFTest kits in the spring and have been monitoring the salt levels. At the moment the SWG is reading 2300ppm (and is calling for more salt) and the test kit reads 3000ppm.

I was curious how accurate other people find the SWG salt reading to be. I'm wondering whether a difference of 700ppm +/- is indicative of a dying cell or is within a normal margin of error.

BTW, I have a Hayward swimpure+ SWG.

40K gallons, IG, plaster, circa 1987, 60sqft Crystal Water DE filter, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG, attached spa w/spillway, 2 skimmers.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Slow death of a cell (slow salt readings)

My SWG typically reads about 600-800ppm lower than my Taylor test. You need to just watch the trends.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!