Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hurricane coming

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hurricane coming

We are debating about leaving the auto cover open or closed with the major storm coming. We have a pump that should be able to drain water build up as long as we have electricity. Our grid is fairly reliable and I am hard pressed to think of a time when we had a power outage for any extended period. But the other concern is tree debris and possible punctures to the cover. If we leave the pool open, we know we will have A LOT of leaves to clear out. If we close it we run a small risk of a branch flying over and potentially puncturing the cover. It would be a no brainer if we had trees directly over the pool, but they are all off to the side. What do you think?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hiurricane coming

I'd leave the cover open. I'd rather clean out a pile of leaves and twigs than replace an autocover. $$$$

It may be cold, but at least we don't have to worry about hurricanes here!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I hate to agree but if there is anything that might get blown onto the cover and damage it I think you're better off leaving it off and just doing the clean up after.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had an auto cover for 4 years. I would open it so nothing would fall and rip it. They are expensive to replace.

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely leave it open. A really hard rain will overload the cover and possibly damage it. Cover pumps can't keep up with torrential downpours. Flying debris can also cause damage.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm having one installed and the dealer told me that all the ones in the hurricane were ripped off the pool.... some even causing damage. He also said they never found them.
    build thread 16' by 40' rectangular shotcrete IG, coverpool stainless cable autocover, pentair, MDX-R3 main drain, 3side/3 floor eco pool returns, 2 skimmers, 2 globrite LED's, quad DE, Intellichlor, 3.5 to 6', one 6" and one 16" sun shelves

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hurricane coming

Yikes. Fortunetly, I believe we are inland enough that the storm strength will disapate enough. And this latest storm is headed out to sea. But I think there is consensus, major storm, leave open.

Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress