Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hurricane coming

poolnorthernva

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 14, 2015
Leesburg, Va
We are debating about leaving the auto cover open or closed with the major storm coming. We have a pump that should be able to drain water build up as long as we have electricity. Our grid is fairly reliable and I am hard pressed to think of a time when we had a power outage for any extended period. But the other concern is tree debris and possible punctures to the cover. If we leave the pool open, we know we will have A LOT of leaves to clear out. If we close it we run a small risk of a branch flying over and potentially puncturing the cover. It would be a no brainer if we had trees directly over the pool, but they are all off to the side. What do you think?

Re: Auto Cover - Leave open or closed with Hiurricane coming

I'd leave the cover open. I'd rather clean out a pile of leaves and twigs than replace an autocover. $$$$

It may be cold, but at least we don't have to worry about hurricanes here!

I hate to agree but if there is anything that might get blown onto the cover and damage it I think you're better off leaving it off and just doing the clean up after.

Definitely leave it open. A really hard rain will overload the cover and possibly damage it. Cover pumps can't keep up with torrential downpours. Flying debris can also cause damage.

Yikes. Fortunetly, I believe we are inland enough that the storm strength will disapate enough. And this latest storm is headed out to sea. But I think there is consensus, major storm, leave open.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.