Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar heating options for an in-ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1
    Waco TX

Solar heating options for an in-ground pool

This is our first summer with a pool and we are eager to extend our swimming season as long as possible. We've got a 12 mil solar blanket that is on the pool any time we are not swimming and our water temperature was 88 degrees last night. That will change soon, however, I'm sure as the ambient temperatures go down in the next month or so.

Our equipment pad is on the south side of our house and we have a large expanse of roof on that side of the house. I am hoping that this is an ideal set up for a solar heating system.

I am interested in either a professional installation of some type or hiring a plumber to install a prefab unit -- we definitely want to avoid an eyesore DIY arrangement (this part of our roof is quite visible).

Can anyone offer any recommendations?
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar heating options for an in-ground pool

Check out Fafco solar panels. I have a flat roof so I'd probably just go with heliocoils when I get up the money to do a solar install. Around my local area (Tucson) solar heating for pool, panels + installation, runs ~ $3k-$6k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Solar heating options for an in-ground pool

I am not sure what you expect the difference to be between a DIY install and a professional one, as when it comes to commercial panels they will likely look nearly identical from ground level.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~