Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegas pool in planning stages.

1. Back To Top    #1

Vegas pool in planning stages.

We have a small yard, 20'x60', so we are planning an even smaller pool, 10'x27'. Wanted to start this thread early to get some experienced inputs. We are going to have a 6' long tanning ledge so swim space will be even smaller. Here is a drawing by one builder but I'm thinking we will be going with a kool deck instead of pavers. This shows 3' long ledge but will be increased and not sure if we will have stairs all the way a row or just at the end.

We are also changing a little to put two little columns on the back edge with sheer descents similar to this one I found online

The deck surface has been hard to decide. I have an existing resist stamped concrete patio that will be right up against the new pool deck. I have a little one so I'm afraid the pacers will be too hot for him. Thought about travertine but worried about slips. So that brought us back to the spray deck. I think it will still look good once all my landscaping is settled and things start growing.

Hoping to make it official. I'm pretty sure we have our builder lined up but waiting on one more bid. He seems to be dragging his feet on getting it together so we might just pass on him based on that.
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vegas pool in planning stages.

Looks like you're well on your way! I really like the look of your design and especially with the addition of the pillars and waterfalls similar to the picture. I would agree that if your pavers have any dark color at all, they'll be hot! I have a concrete deck all the way around my pool that gets warm on hot, sunny days here. On one end of the pool, I have granite pavers on the outside border of the concrete. Those are SCALDING hot on sunny days. I imagine it's a heck of a lot worse in Vegas. Keep that decking a light color for sure.

Once you do decide on a builder, then you need to decide on your type of filter and sanitation. I would highly suggest getting a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) to automate your chlorine sanitation. This site discourages trichlor tablet sanitation for long term use so your options if you choose to follow our methods is either SWCG or manual liquid chlorine sanitation (or use a stenner pump).

Spend some time in Pool School with the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and look over the equipment articles to get a feel for the different components of your upcoming pool. Posting the specifics of your build once you have settled on a builder is a GREAT idea as you'll get lots of suggestions on what pumps, filters, sanitation, plumbing, heaters... etc are best for your situation.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the tips. Equipment should be all Hayward, VS ecostar pump, 325sqft filter. Plumbed for solar down the road. I've heard some builders here tell me the salt cell doesn't last too long here because of the hard water.
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Just signed contract. Going to be 10X28, 6' tanning ledge about 6-7"deep with two bubblers, bench all the way along the opposite edge, two 18" sheer descent from the 18"Dx36"Wx18'H columns. Hayward 2hp VS Costar pump, Hayward 325q ft filter, Hayward valves, Quartz plaster. Just need to figure out the HOA paperwork, it doesn't seem our HOA is very strict so I might just start before approval. Going to start clearing out my artificial turf this weekend and will update with pictures

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool will be going in this area. Getting final plans then submitting to HOA, they told me turn around time of 7-10 days. Started removing plants and turf

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Bigcarbs,
    I look forward to seeing your build. We are looking at a vey similar size and shape pool (approx 9x30)
    We are still wading through bids trying to find the right combination of options vs price.
    I'm very surprised that the buds I'm getting range from $48k-$58k, which seems a bit high for that size of pool.
    Good luck on your build and keep us posted

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
    Hi Bigcarbs,
    I look forward to seeing your build. We are looking at a vey similar size and shape pool (approx 9x30)
    We are still wading through bids trying to find the right combination of options vs price.
    I'm very surprised that the buds I'm getting range from $48k-$58k, which seems a bit high for that size of pool.
    Good luck on your build and keep us posted
    Are you doing pool only or is that with a spa? What is your location?

8. Back To Top    #8

Fun times! Thanks for letting us come along!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

We're in Houston area. We want a spa, but are considering doing without it to give us more swim room and lower the cost

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't mind a spa, wife doesn't want one. We have a big two person jetted tub with inline heater on jets in the bathroom so we figure well just use that and save some money. Plus it gets so hot here that a spa would go mostly unused. Our build should be right around 30k,

11. Back To Top    #11

Great looking design. I would recommend putting your waterfalls on a separate valve so that you can turn them off. One waterfall in a large area is nice but two can be surprisingly loud.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Great looking design. I would recommend putting your waterfalls on a separate valve so that you can turn them off. One waterfall in a large area is nice but two can be surprisingly loud.
    Are you saying each on their own valve or the pair on one valve?

13. Back To Top    #13

Plans submitted to HOA, should get permits next week. Turf is torn out, removing decorative rock from the other side yard so the tractor can take it away and I can finish landscape over there.

Minor changes will be made to plan, columns moved together more, thinking to extend the second step bench a bit more, and cut outs for planters aren't shown.

14. Back To Top    #14

And so it begins!

Make sure EVERYONE has the changes.........We have seen where someone ends up with the old plans so.......

The best thing you can do is be there when a new trade comes the first time. Go over the plans they have and make sure they understand what is what on your build.

No you should not HAVE to do that BUT quite a few PB are not on site so..........Better safe than sorry.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarbs View Post
    Are you saying each on their own valve or the pair on one valve?
    Sorry for the delayed response. I would - at a minimum - put the waterfalls on a separate valve from the pool. Given the size of your space and the volume of the waterfalls, you may want to consider putting each on its own valve so you can bett control the volume.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

16. Back To Top    #16

Howdy neighbor! I'd love to have a pool that size, I like the smaller pools, but I bought a house with an existing pool so it is what it is. Can't wait to see your finished pool.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.

17. Back To Top    #17

Got HOA approval earlier today. Time to tear up my yard

18. Back To Top    #18

Let the fun begin!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

What type of SWG did you go with?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    What type of SWG did you go with?
    Not going to install one for now. They're putting an inline chlorinate but I'll probably go liquid chlorine until I decide if I want the salt.

On another note, may have an opening today for excavation to start. Need to clear out the back yard and then get an outline.

As it sits currently

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast