Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does TA change on it's own?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does TA change on it's own?

So I have read everything I can find on here regarding TA and Ph and can't seem to find the answer to this question.

I am getting my pool ready for borates and over a period of several days have lowered my TA with Muriatic Acid from 100 to 80 while aerating the pool to bring the PH back up. I have two large pool streamers creating tons of bubbles, but it is taking forever. My PH is still at 7.2 and not budging much.

Anyway, my question is this: Does TA ever change on it's own (besides adding an acid or a base)? I believe I read it can change with spill out (lower) over time, is that correct? Does anything else affect it? i.e, now that it's at 80 do I need to keep testing it?

Can I add Borates with 7.2 Ph or do I need to wait a bit longer?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TA increases from evaporation and refill so it will drift upwards. Pool water is over-saturated with CO2 so, if you added nothing to the water and if you could somehow keep it from evaporating, the CO2 would eventually outgas from the water as the concentration of dissolved CO2 equilibrated with the atmosphere. But that process is far too slow to happen on its own in any measureable way.

How are you adding borates, boric acid or borax?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does TA change on it's own?

I have Boric Acid and am anxious. Should I be more patient until I get my PH up or is 7.2 good and just keep aerating afterwards. I've read Boric Acid can slightly lower PH
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You can check it with pool math but the boric acid will temporarily lower your pH by about 0.2 to 0.3 pH units. If you want to, you can use borax to raise the pH a bit and then add boric acid. You get borates both ways then. Pool Math can tell you how much borax to add.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Does Borax raise TA?

Thanks for all the help Joyful!

6. Back To Top    #6

Borax and boric acid add to measureable TA slightly. For 50ppm borates you'll increase your TA by about 5ppm. Not a big deal at all.

Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, I have added about 30 oz. (was supposed to be 54 according to Pool Math, but that is all I had) of 20 Mule Borax. Will aerate and monitor PH. If I can get it to 7.5 or so can I add my Boric Acid?

8. Back To Top    #8

Should be ok if you hit 7.5. Boric acid dissolves really fast, so just broadcast what you need to add (I broke it up into two additions) and give it a good brush.

Matt

9. Back To Top    #9

Will do. Thanks again!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

You're welcome.

Matt