Brownish stuff on walls and flat surfaces again

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
Hi everyone, its been a while since I had this brownish looking dust appear on my walls and flat surfaces.Let me start by saying that the water is crystal clear until I brush the pool and the run
the Auqa Bot. The stuff will stay gone for a day and the start to re-appear. Here are my numbers.
FC 8.5 at 530PM Roughly 1 1/2 hours of run time remaining.
CC 0
CYA 60 I know it probably needs to be bumped up to 70. A month ago it was at 70 but have added water several times due to evaporation and rain.. However FC is still way above target for 60
PH 7.6
TA 100
Wtr temp 84
Salt 3400.
Cartridge filter was just cleaned less than a week ago.
I had this issue earlier in the year late July and just brushed, vac, ran robot and dosed with bleach and it cleared up until now.
Should i replace my cartridge even though looks ok and is less than 2 years old.
I have inspected inside the light well also. Nothing found there.

Hello tmturner54! I just happened to come across your thread. Brownish huh? Well, generally the smooth surfaces of our FB pools are fairly resilient to stuff, but at times we have to go the extra mile to figure out what's happening. With the exception of the slightly low CYA which you already pointed-out, your test results back on 9/30 look quite good. How is the FC holding-up now? Brushing every 2-3 days still seems to have no great impact correct (brown still returns)? Is the brown predominantly in one area of the pool or all over? Does circulation appear to be good (throughout) in your pool? If your cartridge filter is 2 years old, it may indeed be time to replace it, although I'm not totally convinced that's responsible for the brownish dust you're seeing. Is the brown "dust" you see in the pool limited to just the pool, or do you see this dust anywhere else around that area of the yard? Have you tried to gather any of that brown dust up - perhaps with a turkey baster or something to see what its texture is like? Do you use a skimmer sock? (I know, lots of questions). :)

The OCLT would be a good thing to check when you get time. If we rule-out organics, then you may need to focus back on the filtration and/or SWG to ensure it's producing enough FC. From the reading last week it seems to be, but perhaps you'll need to monitor it closely for 1-2 days to ensure output is consistent. We have learned that even though the water is clear, you can still have algae (I did before). Not saying this is algae yet, but it can happen.

We'll try to watch for any additional inputs you have and try to help as necessary. Have a nice afternoon.

Hi Texas splash. Thanks for the reply. The dust seems to be in particular areas and all flat surfaces likes steps, safety ledge, swimouts. But not all over the walls. I have been dosing heavy with bleach, brushing every day and running the robot.This clears it up quite nicely. Trying to capture this dust has been tried. It is extremely fine. I thouhgt about the cartridge filter being th issue but never really visited it other than the periodic cleaning and by cleaning I mean spraying it off with a heavy stream of wate. Rinsing from top to bottom. So sunday afternoon I removed the filter to do a better inspection, actually seperating the pleats to inspect. Needless to say my cleaning job lacked alot. So I spent probably 1 hour cleaning between each pleat and then cleaning with a MA/water solution.
Today when I got home from work the pool was pefecetly clear with NO dust. I also rcvd my new filter today which will act as a backup when its time to clean. Remove the dirty one put in the clean one and repeat process. I should have done this in the beginning 1 1/2 years ago. I will up date again in a few days.

Today FC +20...also adding bleach
PH 7.5
water temp 78
CYA 60
Remaining test numbers remain the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.