How long do you run your pump?

Would appreciate any input.

I have a small pool and large pump, so I could run the pump on high for approx 1.5 hours and turn over the entire pool. (not checked how long it would take on low)

Question is, would you run the pump at low speed for 12 hours (all day) or would you run it at high speed for two (or more) 2-3 hour intervals during the day. Does it matter?

Idea was to save power with a 2 speed and just turn it on high to add chlorine.

Thanks in advance.

Just based on my own experience with a 5K IG fiberglass pool supported by a single speed 1hp pump with a 2-hr. turnover rate in the high desert with light bather loads, I successfully filter 6 hours a day in warmer months and 4 hours a day during our cooler months. When the winds are up, I extend the run by another 2 hours due to airborne particulates.

Before conserving power, consider your constraints to maintain a healthy pool. What is your turnover rate for the lower speed? Is the pool exposed to wind or high levels of debris? What are your bather loads?

i would try running it on low speed for 10 hours per day and then adjust downward. the cost of running it on low speed are pretty low, how many watts does it use on low speed? if you know that you can calculate how much money it costs.

i would only run it on high when you are vacuuming, etc. no need to run it on high to add chlorine, it will be fine.

and turnover rate, etc, doesn't mean anything. you run the pump long enough so that your pool is clean to your standards. i have a single speed pump and i run my pool about 5 hours a day during the summer, probably around 3 hours during winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Before conserving power, consider your constraints to maintain a healthy pool. What is your turnover rate for the lower speed? Is the pool exposed to wind or high levels of debris? What are your bather loads?

turnover rates mean nothing. filtering has no impact on pool chemistry, chlorine levels do. as far as removing leaves, etc...you run your pump long enough to remove all that to your satisfaction. that might be 4 hours for some, or 15 for others. i would try and run your pump as little as possible to save money.

turnover rates mean nothing. filtering has no impact on pool chemistry, chlorine levels do. as far as removing leaves, etc...you run your pump long enough to remove all that to your satisfaction. that might be 4 hours for some, or 15 for others. i would try and run your pump as little as possible to save money.

So noted... I'm just one of those persnickety ones who likes a clean pool,
even when it's only a water feature in Winter. ;-)

11kw0hs.jpg

First depending on the cleaning system and water adjust higher speed for cleaning then figure gallons in cleaning cycle deduct it from what turnover rate your shooting for. Then run it as low as you can to do the rest of the turnover. Also check on your on peak off peak costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So noted... I'm just one of those persnickety ones who likes a clean pool,
even when it's only a water feature in Winter. ;-)

11kw0hs.jpg

I like a clean pool too, and mine is perfectly clean. I just don't need to run my pump very long to do that. the "turnover" rate when it comes to pools is just outdated. run time should be based on how long it takes to clean your pool is all. it could be more or less than the "turnover rate", every pool is different.

I like a clean pool too, and mine is perfectly clean. I just don't need to run my pump very long to do that. the "turnover" rate when it comes to pools is just outdated. run time should be based on how long it takes to clean your pool is all. it could be more or less than the "turnover rate", every pool is different.

Oh Dan... I wasn't suggesting your pool (or anyone else's) wasn't clean. And I do agree, any number of circumstances will dictate how long it takes for a pump to maintain someone's preference assuming their chemistry is in order.

For instance, despite being snuggled fairly close to my hacienda the pool is exposed to the elements (the worst of which is wind that carries seasonal air-borne contaminants). I also have mature pine trees and a "no tell-motel for birds" in an adjacent plum tree. Desert willows and mesquite abound in my neighborhood too. All are contributors to lots of skimming and vacuuming... and extended filtration is a terrific aid.

Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intent.

no, Joan, not offended at all :)

just an example that everyone's needs are different, and illustrates that the old two turnover "rule" means absolutely nothing and shouldn't be used to determine how long to run your pump.

those birds sound like a nuisance :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First depending on the cleaning system and water adjust higher speed for cleaning then figure gallons in cleaning cycle deduct it from what turnover rate your shooting for. Then run it as low as you can to do the rest of the turnover. Also check on your on peak off peak costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch the whole idea of "turnover rates" folks. Doesn't mean much. If your pool stays clear, it's clear.

Woody has the correct approach here. Turnover means diddly-squat. Running your pump cycles during off-peak hours when practical/available is a good idea though.

We run multiple IG pools in the deep south 24-7. Using Pentair VF pumps on a power and speed setting that consumes a whopping 100 watts of power for most of the time and with a programmed Features setting that overrides the ultralow speed and turns on the SWCG for a couple hours

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.