Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to select a heater for my little pool

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Question How to select a heater for my little pool

I would like help deciding on a replacement heater for my little pool. I would prefer nat. gas. I would really like to use the pool year round. Pool temp would be best at around 80-85. Hotter is better but not required.
    nat. gas cost is .36 per therm
    electric is .10 per kW

Thoughts?

I will be doing the install myself and the current heater is nat. gas.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to select a heater for my little pool

A larger heater will heat your water faster using basically the same amount of gas that a smaller heater would.

Raypak seems to get very positive reviews.

So, I would suggest the largest Raypak you can afford and that your gas line will support. Although given the size of your pool, there is probably not much of a need to go bigger than 250k BTU ... assuming you are not going to be looking to raise the temp many degrees very quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Thoughts/experiences with Raypak 009216?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I sell and install lots of Raypak/Rheem units a year. They are the best unit on the market today. The unit you mention is the 200K BTU unit and is good but I would consider going up a model and at least getting the 266K BTU unit, 009217. Hardly much more in cost, maybe $150 difference, and it would heat your pool faster. For $150 more, it's worth it.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Thanks for the idea! I found that model with free shipping, so less then the first one I was looking at...

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

See, bigger unit for less $$$.

Enjoy!
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,