Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Average daily chlorine usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Average daily chlorine usage

I've been trying to do the TFPC method since my pool was done 8/21...it's about 15000 gallons and I'm pretty much adding around 2 gallons of 10% chlorine a week on average and about 1/4 gallon of acid. The water is crystal clear, but is this pretty average for daily chlorine consumption?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Average daily chlorine usage

What is your daily FC loss? Between 2-3 is considered normal...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

You also must consider that you finished your pool in the hottest part of the summer when chlorine need is often highest. As the weather cools you should see a lessening of chlorine use.
    Just keep testing and treating as needed. If your chlorine requirements increase you may need to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT- directions in Pool School)

As to the acid- with a new gunnite pool you'll be dealing with pH rise as the surface cures. It can take months. Then it won't be so much anymore.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

2 gallons of 10% chlorinating liquid in 15,000 gallons is 13.3 ppm FC so that's 1.9 ppm FC so that is actually on the low-end of the typical 2-3 ppm FC (some are lower, especially if they have pool covers, and some are higher, but many are in the 2-3 range).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    2 gallons of 10% chlorinating liquid in 15,000 gallons is 13.3 ppm FC so that's 1.9 ppm FC so that is actually on the low-end of the typical 2-3 ppm FC (some are lower, especially if they have pool covers, and some are higher, but many are in the 2-3 range).
    Thank you chem geek...
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

6. Back To Top    #6

my pool is same size and that's about what I use. My CYA is around 40
    IG: 15000 Gal. Plaster. DE. 1992. Spa. Pump----(Will check brand and update). Heater. TF-100 Kit w Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Same here, maybe slightly less. I've been auto dispensing with Stenner at 24 oz. per day, and FC has stayed above 5 for past 2 months. I dump in about 1/2 gallon a week of acid, pH seems to drift to 7.8-8 pretty fast. My pool is 75% shaded, so loss is much less than direct sun. Not sure why I need to much acid, 8 year old pool with pebble finish. CYA 40.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB