Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suntanning shelf size and orientation on a small rectangular pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suntanning shelf size and orientation on a small rectangular pool?

Due to yard size and easements, we only have the ability to build a long, narrow pool ( roughly 9'x30')
    One of the features we are considering is a suntanning shelf at one end of the pool. We did get one design that had a 9x8 shelf on one end, but that seems to take up a lot of the pool length, for non-swimming activities.
    I was considering making the shelf narrower, maybe 9x4, to give us more swimming room. One of the concerns I have with that size, is that it limits the number of sunbathers to one, and it makes them have to lay perpendicular to the path of the sun across the sky.
    What do you think, is it worth it to have a suntanning shelf in a pool this small? If so, would you go with 8x9 or 4x9, or even something else?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suntanning shelf size and orientation on a small rectangular pool?

My pool is 14x32, and it has stairs across the entire shallow end. Folks hang out on the stairs which are very comfortable (or they're actually in deeper water) so I'm fine without a sun shelf. People can always float on rafts if they feel they need to bake more, right?

I'd hate to give up all that length which would limit my lap swimming too much. I'd be one sad Yippee :*(

Just something to think about, huh?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In my opinion I would always opt for the largest pool I could fit in between those easements. Rafts and floats are very popular in my pool. 30 feet is a good length , I would not shorten it

4. Back To Top    #4

I like as much swimming area as you can get. The steps to get in and out and sit around on............floats for tanning.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit