Filter/Pump Problems

Sep 29, 2015
Poulsbo
Hi, I'm a new pool owner. It's a SwimnPlay Oxford 24' round with Waterway 1 hp pump and round sand filter. Problem: when I turn it on, it runs great--for 45 secs to 1 min., then clicks and hums. It clicks again in a little bit and can be restarted, but does it gain.

The pool is 200 nfeet from house on 20 amp dedicated circeut. Last 100 feet is two extension cords. I understand cords aren't advisable. I checked with multimeter. If I did it correctly (doubtful) it read 118 volts at pump. Tried measuring amps pulled by pump. Seems to be 9 amps or 90 or 900. Is the power the issue, or air leak possibly?
I can see a lille air at top of pump pot. Thanks

Hello Patrick and welcome to TFP. :wave: From your description, I would tend to think that your pump or electrical circuit may be experiencing some heating issues (overheating) possibly from the use of the extension cords. You're correct that using extension cords are not advisable, especially true when you have to "piggy-back" more than one together to go as far as you require. Of course those cords are rated differently for the amperage they are designed to carry which may be effecting heat in the line as well. But overall, the fact that your pump runs, then clicks/hums, seems to indicate a protective issue related to heat. Being 200 ft from the house or power source, I suppose getting electricity to your pool is a challenge, but hard wiring would of course be ideal. If you must use an extension cord temporarily, perhaps try to purchase one with sufficient gauge and length to see if that has any impact on your situation.

As for the air in the pumps basket, if it's just a small amount that never drops low and the pump never loses prime, I would not think that is related to the pump shutting-off. It just means you have a small amount of air entering the system from the suction side of the pool (skimmer/drain to the pump).

Thanks. That makes senses. I will run a hard wire from the nearest access point and see if that does it.

QUOTE=Texas Splash;932851]Hello Patrick and welcome to TFP. :wave: From your description, I would tend to think that your pump or electrical circuit may be experiencing some heating issues (overheating) possibly from the use of the extension cords. You're correct that using extension cords are not advisable, especially true when you have to "piggy-back" more than one together to go as far as you require. Of course those cords are rated differently for the amperage they are designed to carry which may be effecting heat in the line as well. But overall, the fact that your pump runs, then clicks/hums, seems to indicate a protective issue related to heat. Being 200 ft from the house or power source, I suppose getting electricity to your pool is a challenge, but hard wiring would of course be ideal. If you must use an extension cord temporarily, perhaps try to purchase one with sufficient gauge and length to see if that has any impact on your situation.

As for the air in the pumps basket, if it's just a small amount that never drops low and the pump never loses prime, I would not think that is related to the pump shutting-off. It just means you have a small amount of air entering the system from the suction side of the pool (skimmer/drain to the pump).[/QUOTE]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.