Closing question

Concho

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
My PB method to close pool is as follows: Lower water 6-8 inches below skimmers...blow out skimmers and waterfall lines....add antifreeze to those lines. Make sure all valves are left open at the equipment pad. I am concerned about not doing anything with the return lines...he says as long as the valves are open that I have nothing to worry about. Anyone see any problems with this method? Thanks. I live in Southern Michigan.

If you are closing the pool and blowing out the lines for the skimmer and waterfall, why would anyone recommend not doing anything with the return lines? They have to be closed out as well. I am not familiar with Southern Michigan temperatures, but does the temperature get real cold for an extended duration of time? If so, then you have to clear water from all the lines, including the main drain (creating an air lock) and plugging the suction side in the pump housing is recommended.

I just looked at map and you are north of New Jersey. For sure, everything must be winterized. How long have you owned the pool and who was winterizing it before? Unless this is your first year.

Last edited:
I have closed it myself in the past. I lower the water below the returns and blow them out. My PB said I'm wasting water and time by lowering that low....just leave them underwater and open up the valves.....same with main drain. He closes hundreds of pools this way....is he just lucky nothing has gone wrong?

I have closed it myself in the past. I lower the water below the returns and blow them out. My PB said I'm wasting water and time by lowering that low....just leave them underwater and open up the valves.....same with main drain. He closes hundreds of pools this way....is he just lucky nothing has gone wrong?

What exactly does the PB do? What does "leave them underwater and open up the valves...same with the main drain" mean? Does the PB just not blow out the lines and just closes the pool? What State are you in?

He says to lower the water below the skimmers but above the returns....and doesn't blow out the returns...just leaves them be...and then open up all valves at equipment pad for air flow. I've never tried it but that's what he does. We get deep freezes thru winter.

He says to lower the water below the skimmers but above the returns....and doesn't blow out the returns...just leaves them be...and then open up all valves at equipment pad for air flow. I've never tried it but that's what he does. We get deep freezes thru winter.

Better safe then sorry. I never heard of anyone's pipes freezing underground for a swimming pool. Some people claim that they do nothing and cover the pool and have never had any problem. Although, I would not feel comfortable doing this. I have only owned a pool for 2 years, and the water only froze about 1/2 " at most on the surface, not anywhere near the returns. This year, I lowered the water and am allowing the tarp to fill up to keep the water below from not freezing in the pool. Clearly, it is worth to winterize a pool.

Lower the level below the returns, blow them out, add some antifreeze (sort of redundant if there is no water, but anti freeze is <$3.00/gal.), cap them, and call it a day. $3.00 is a small price to pay compared to jack-hammering your sidewalk and replacing your plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.