Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which sand for Triton II?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which sand for Triton II?

I'm changing the sand in my Triton II and I'm struggling to find sand which meets the requirements from the owners manual:

* Sand to be No. 20 standard silica (uniformity coefficient not greater than 1.75) .018-.020 in diameter particle size.
    Home Depot/Lowes sells 'Quikrete' which appears outside of that range "US Sieve Size 20-40, Particle size (0.85-0.425 mm)"
    Leslie's only seems to sell Zeolite

Any suggestions what to do? Do I really need to worry about this?

Thanks
    19k IG Pebble Tec, SWG Hayward Aqua Rite, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 3HP EVSS3-NS Motor, Tempe AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which sand for Triton II?

I just found the Aqua Quarts #20 at Ace's which is $12 for 50lb. More expensive than Quikrete ($7) but appears to be what the manual is asking for...
    19k IG Pebble Tec, SWG Hayward Aqua Rite, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 3HP EVSS3-NS Motor, Tempe AZ

3. Back To Top    #3

I read a review somewhere that the quikrete pool sand was not graded correctly for pool sand. That could have been an isolated local problem as that stuff is probably manufactured and bagged regionally.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You should use #20 play sand. The Quickcrete brand wasn't effective at al I got that at Lowes.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

DO NOT USE PLAY SAND!!!!! GO WITHOUT BEFORE USING IT!!

I sure hope you heard that. Play sand is NOT made the same as pool filter sand. We had a cloudy pool go for months before it was found to have play sand in the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I PM'd tetlee. I sure hope they get the message before they fill their filter with the wrong stuff!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

You want the correct grade of sand for the filter. #20 silica sand is the standard for sand filters. Play sand is usually not labeled by grade and it is best to just avoid it. Quickcrete bags labeled as pool sand have performed inconsistently by reports on our forum. Why that is the case we don't know, but for that reason I would look for a different brand of pool filter sand if there is one available.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Since the OP is in Tempe AZ, maybe a short drive to Corson's A&M or NPS would result in a better grade of sand for the pool filter. Both should have it in stock or can get enough within a day - Call them first for price and stock on hand.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment