Closing an unopened pool

Sep 28, 2015
Hurlock, MD
So with good intentions, I took the cover off the pool in May of this year. I then proceeded to never hookup the hoses and pump. What had been a reasonably clear opening quickly turned to a swamp. My thought is to dump 10 bags of shock into it, put the cover back on, and deal with it next season. But, i see talk on here of bleach?!? and with a 27' round with water up to the inlet (3'?), is there an actual quantity that makes sense? 10 of something is just a grab out of the air number.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts you might have. I will continue to browse around and have a beverage until I make a decision.

So with good intentions, I took the cover off the pool in May of this year. I then proceeded to never hookup the hoses and pump. What had been a reasonably clear opening quickly turned to a swamp. My thought is to dump 10 bags of shock into it, put the cover back on, and deal with it next season. But, i see talk on here of bleach?!? and with a 27' round with water up to the inlet (3'?), is there an actual quantity that makes sense? 10 of something is just a grab out of the air number.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts you might have. I will continue to browse around and have a beverage until I make a decision.

It is best to deal with your pool now and not next season. In order to clear up a swimming pool and continue to have a trouble free pool, one must follow the methodology learned here on the forum. It is best you start with Pool School and read through the articles.

Pool School - Pool School

In addition, without the proper test kit, you will have a difficult time clearing and maintaining the pool. TFTestkits.net is where you can purchase a recommended test kit. It is best you add a gallon of bleach each and every day just to stall everything until you start the SLAM process and await your test kit.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Please keep us posted!

I agree with Catanzaro. Fix it now rather than wait. And be careful, depending upon your current levels, those pool store "bags-o-shock" may do more harm than good. Read the two links provided above, and also review the TFP Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. TFP uses basic household items to maintain required levels ... and it works! But you really do need the right test kit. Test strips and/or store testing is unreliable at best. I can vouch for the TF-100. It uses Taylor reagents, but in larger, more economical sizes which you will need to conduct a SLAM. Ask for the speed stir! Welcome to TFP!

You just been given GREAT advice by two very seasoned members of TFP. But let me make a counter-point which in no way diminishes their expert advice but speaks to the core of your pool problems.

The TFPC Method of pool care is not about "dumping X amount of stuff in the pool" and praying for a good outcome. It is a scientifically based methodology of only adding to your pool water exactly what it needs and using the most cost-effective and reliable chemicals you can to achieve that end. It starts with owning one of the preferred test kits and learning to test your water yourself. The folks here that founded TFP believe that this community of users can provide you with all of the information and support you need to have the best looking and cleanest pool possible with the least amount of trouble.

The "Dump & Pray" methodology is what the pool stores and pool industry sells. It's based not on your needs and making your pool easy to to take care of but instead is based on selling you the most expensive chemicals possible regardless of whether or not they will work or even if they are suited to the problems you are experiencing. As long you as you hand them cash and they hand you a bottle of magic potion, they are happy to have you keep coming back for more without any accountability on their part in terms of actually fixing your problems. In short, they don't give a rat's behind about you, your pool or the cleanliness and health of the water you swim in.

So my suggestion to you is to forget about your pool for now (I know, others want you to clean it up). Instead of spending time trying to clean up a pool you probably won't use until the Spring, I would suggest you spend that time here on TFP reading all of the articles in Pool School and perusing the various threads, particularly the ones that deal with folks trying to clean up their green swamps (for example here, here and here). Doing that will give you insight into what we teach here and will determine if you are willing to leave behind the bad advice you get at the pool stores and start along the path of taking control of your own pool.

Best wishes to you,
Matt

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.