Closing pool - is slam necessary?

Aug 23, 2012
Is it necessary to slam your pool before closing it, especially considering the pool was clean all year? I have no issue with doing so (besides having to purchase more bleach) but I'm wondering if it's truly necessary. Also this is the first time I've used Clorox for chlorinating the pool. I assume you SLAM with it as well?

I don't think there is any suggestion of a SLAM to close but I do think there is a slight mix-up in terminology perhaps.

A SLAM a process with an outline of actions to take and test to perform until it is complete. It is normally done when you CLEAR UP a pool....not close it.

That said, it is a good idea to bring your FC to SLAM value before you close.....one last dose of high chlorine to give you protection over the winter. You can find your SLAM value only if you know your CYA and then refer to the FC/CYA relationship[ chart in Pool School.

When you close, you're not really doing a full SLAM with all the SLAM requirements, you're only taking the FC up to the SLAM/Shock FC level once just prior to closing. That is simply to have additional FC pre-mixed with the water, along with colder temperatures, to last longer through the winter season. As for the bleach, any regular (generic) bleach will work. Just make sure it's non-scented, nothing fancy. Just regular plain bleach. Hope that helps.

Great guys! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when does everyone generally close their pool, meaning what week in October? I'm set this week to close but our thermometer recently broke and I haven't replaced it so I really don't know what the pool temp is. The temp outside has been hitting 50s just about every night the past week however. Is it too early in October to close? Is it best to wait another week at least?

Many people have already started to close, but really it's the temp that is key, not so much a specific time period. The water needs to be below 60 degrees to ensure algae won't try to grow in the water once you close and shut things down. Once you're sure that water temp is below 60, you can proceed with closing.

Great guys! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when does everyone generally close their pool, meaning what week in October? I'm set this week to close but our thermometer recently broke and I haven't replaced it so I really don't know what the pool temp is. The temp outside has been hitting 50s just about every night the past week however. Is it too early in October to close? Is it best to wait another week at least?
As Pat mentioned it is really about the water temp being below 60F. I'm in southern CT where the nights have been in the low 50/high 40's now, and my pool remains around 65F.

I'm sure you can find a new thermometer at a decent price this late in the season. You will want one for next year anyway, no?

Please add your location to your user info, it really helps with the advice you will receive.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.