Now the opposite problem - too much chlorine....

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
OMG. it's always something!
Test the FC today and it was 7!
I guess the cool weather and a 50 CYA is helping our chlorine situation???

It's all over the map
9/13 FC 2/cal 425/ta 100/CYA 60/pH 7.8
9/15 2 FC/calc 350/ta 80/pH 7.5
9/17 FC 8.5/pH 7.6-ish/CYA 50
9/18 FC 5.5/ pH7.5, 6
9/19 FC 5.0
9/21 FC 2 - bleach added and SWG turned on <it had been not working but got it working>
9/23 1/4 bottle of CYA and and FC 8.5 and CYA 55
9/24 FC 8.5/Ph 7.7/CYA 55
9/25 FC 4.5 and added 12 oz of acid/CALC 375/TA 100/CYA 50/pH 7.8
9/26 FC 4.5
9/28 FC 7/cya 50 pH is 7.8 again

I know that chlorine eats acid. Hubby wants to wait and get the FC down before adding more acid.
Thoughts???? I have a notebook. I don't test everything every day. I only have enough solution to test the CYA one more time. We have ordered more already. it hasn't arrived. Turned the SWG down to 20% - this is just crazy!

Why are you checking your CYA so often? Unless you have a good amount of water exchange it's not going to change much. I check mine once a month.

Dom

Why are you checking your CYA so often? Unless you have a good amount of water exchange it's not going to change much. I check mine once a month.

Dom

Bc I have had a chlorine problem. And I thought i understood that you had to have enough CYA to keep your chlorine from disappearing. We haven't been able to keep our CYA up.

- - - Updated - - -

With CYA at 50 it is safe to swim with FC up to 20ppm. 7 is only 1ppm above target. Chlorine CYA Chart Yes, cooler temps and less sunlight are reducing your chlorine demand.

More on pool chemistry here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

We can't swim anymore. It's too cold. So I was right that the coolder weather has lessened the chlorine. Okay. We will lower the pH.

- - - Updated - - -

and under pool school, it says that the CYA should be kept at 70 or 80. We have NEVER EVER been there. EVER. We haven't been able to get it up.

Bc I have had a chlorine problem. And I thought i understood that you had to have enough CYA to keep your chlorine from disappearing. We haven't been able to keep our CYA up.

- - - Updated - - -

We can't swim anymore. It's too cold. So I was right that the coolder weather has lessened the chlorine. Okay. We will lower the pH.

- - - Updated - - -

and under pool school, it says that the CYA should be kept at 70 or 80. We have NEVER EVER been there. EVER. We haven't been able to get it up.
I don't see any CYA additions in your notes you posted, except for once, a "1/4 bottle". Yet you tested 6 times?

How much CYA have you added to your pool, and what form (liquid or powder)?

CYA does not dissipate like chlorine does, nor does it (substantially) oxidize with normal FC levels. Either you have a bad batch of CYA, have not added enough, or there is testing error. Liquid CYA will take a day or two to completely disperse in the pool, powdered can take 4-7 days. If you test right after adding you are not going to see it.

Dom

I don't see any CYA additions in your notes you posted, except for once, a "1/4 bottle". Yet you tested 6 times?

How much CYA have you added to your pool, and what form (liquid or powder)?

CYA does not dissipate like chlorine does, nor does it (substantially) oxidize with normal FC levels. Either you have a bad batch of CYA, have not added enough, or there is testing error. Liquid CYA will take a day or two to completely disperse in the pool, powdered can take 4-7 days. If you test right after adding you are not going to see it.

Dom

Look at the 13, 17, 23, 24 and 25. those are the days I tested the CYA

Look at the 13, 17, 23, 24 and 25. those are the days I tested the CYA
Yes, 6 tests but no CYA additions other than your mysterious "1/4 bottle". I thought that was already established?

I don't see any CYA additions in your notes you posted, except for once, a "1/4 bottle". Yet you tested 6 times? .........

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1/4 bottle should be 1 lb which will raise cya by 6.3 ppm in 19k gallons.
That is assuming it was a 4lb container of granular CYA.

It it could have been 1-3/4 lbs if a 7lb container, or 32oz if liquid.

Trying to help figure out why their CYA is not rising, I asked what form and how much but OP has not yet answered.

.......... How much CYA have you added to your pool, and what form (liquid or powder)?.......

Dom

That is assuming it was a 4lb container of granular CYA.

It it could have been 1-3/4 lbs if a 7lb container, or 32oz if liquid.

Trying to help figure out why their CYA is not rising, I asked what form and how much but OP has not yet answered.

Dom

All I know is that it's liquid CYA. we don't have any more of it, but the husband says it's a gallon-size container.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, 6 tests but no CYA additions other than your mysterious "1/4 bottle". I thought that was already established?

Dom

Yeah, he added some - I remember but he didn't write it down. I remember him saying he was going to pour the rest in bc he thought what he added would have been enough and all that was left was the 1/4. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when. I have yelled at him for not writing things down!

- - - Updated - - -

the FC was still 6 yesterday with the SWG set at 20%.

A full gallon of liquid CYA will raise the CYA level by about 19.5ppm in your 19000 gallon pool.

It's good to see that you are now maintaining FC. How big is your SWG cell?

Dom

Okay, Dom, you have stumped me. I do not know the answer to that question of cell size. I am not even sure my husband knows. I will have to figure that out and get back to you but I am headed to a conference so it most likely won't be until Sunday when I Google the Hayward SWG thing.

No worries.

How long are you running the pump & SWG? That's good output at 20%, unless it's running all day. The colder weather is also helping.

If your not sure the size of the cell just post the manufacturer & model #, we can figure it out from there.

BTW- Be sure to check out Pool Math. It's a very handy way to calculate "how much" of a needed chemical. Once you enter your pool's volume in the box up top, & set all your "now" and "target" values you hit the "calculate" button and pool math does the work! If I go there now and enter 19000 into the gallons box, set my CYA "now" to 40, and set my CYA "target" to 60, when I click the calculate button it tells me to add 131oz oz liquid stabilizer (just about 1-gallon).

Dom

so your CYA is in the 50 to 60 range. That could be the result of either pool water or R-013 measurement being slightly less or more than last time, or that could be difference in ambient lighting. Just say 60, and get your FC to 8 each night at sundown. Test for pH once a week and add some acid if needed. Check you CYA once a month. If it went down, it just means you used a little too much chlorine in the mean time. It's never going to magically get higher, so you aren't at risk for algae, just a few lost dollars on a few ounces of bleach each night.

If you don't have any actual issues with algae or cloudy water, you seem to be over-steering. Relax your grip on the wheel!

oh ok, the SWG is working? Your FC will vary throughout the day, higher when the pump has been running and distributing the chlorine, lower if it's been sitting stagnant in the sun all day, etc. I would measure whenever the level is probably the lowest: back half of the day when the sun is out but the pump hasn't been running.

For the CYA, just assume 60. Next month, if it's still 45-55, you can add enough to bring it up. Unless your cell is taxed, you can work your way up. And yes, try a different brand of stabilizer. That's been a thing this year, CYA not coming up as expected.

I'm a type A personality, Buckeye! LOL. No, actually, as a first time pool owner, it's been rather challenging -- especially with the crazy weather we've had this year. We actually dumped water from the pool 3 times this year - had algae twice. it's been a ride!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.