Abaove ground pool w/ Sand on the bottom w/ no sand filter - cut in the liner?

Sep 28, 2015
Wooster, Ohio
I have discovered quite a bit of sand on the bottom of my pool (approx. 75% covered). I do NOT have a sand filter. If my liner has a cut in it, would the sand be able to escape from underneath the pool? Pool is going on 3 years old. If it does have a cut, what is the best way to repair. It does not appear I am losing water...FYI.

Thanks in advance! Mike

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the reply. We have a great guy that works at our local pool store. I've been working with him to relieve this problem. I should have taken pictures but I didn't. Almost entire floor was covered in what appeared to be sand. (I have to admit, the pool was not circulating and no chlorine for about 2 weeks - my fault I got busy) After brushing a section of it, it immediately released into a yellow cloud. My filter looked like it was covered in a yellow / brown coating....definitely was not sand!

Anyhow, I have recently 3 bag shocked the pool (27' round). Overnight it sat circulating and 24 hours later I had to increase the alkalinity and decrease the PH. I then brushed the entire sides and bottom of the pool to get it into cloud form and then add 14 oz of algaecide and 2 bags of mustard algae treatment. I am in the process of waiting 1 hour and then 2 bags of shock. Let it go overnight circulating and then I will clean the filter tomorrow and start vacuuming.

If you have any other advice I will take it. Local guy said this process has worked for others in the past. Thanks in advance! Mike

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the reply. We have a great guy that works at our local pool store. I've been working with him to relieve this problem. I should have taken pictures but I didn't. Almost entire floor was covered in what appeared to be sand. (I have to admit, the pool was not circulating and no chlorine for about 2 weeks - my fault I got busy) After brushing a section of it, it immediately released into a yellow cloud. My filter looked like it was covered in a yellow / brown coating....definitely was not sand!

Anyhow, I have recently 3 bag shocked the pool (27' round). Overnight it sat circulating and 24 hours later I had to increase the alkalinity and decrease the PH. I then brushed the entire sides and bottom of the pool to get it into cloud form and then add 14 oz of algaecide and 2 bags of mustard algae treatment. I am in the process of waiting 1 hour and then 2 bags of shock. Let it go overnight circulating and then I will clean the filter tomorrow and start vacuuming.

If you have any other advice I will take it. Local guy said this process has worked for others in the past. Thanks in advance! Mike
Wow! That's quite the chemical soup you have going!

I hope you were explained the ingredients of all those 'treatments', and what they could possibly do to your pool's long term water chemistry balance.

If those 'bags of shock' contained Dichlor or Trichlor you have also added a lot of CYA (stabilizer) to your pool. Excessive CYA will make the pool hard to manage & keep algae free.

Also, many algaecides contain copper, and excess copper can stain your pool walls and/or turn blonde hair shades of green.

Here at TFP we do not promote blindly adding chemicals into the pool in a "shock and pray" fashion. It's all about understanding what the pool needs through accurate testing and only added what is absolutely needed.

You can eliminate just about any form of algae with just plain chlorine (bleach) and patience.

I hope you take the time to read the articles I linked in my previous post, as well as the articles in Pool School, especially The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I encourage you to purchase a proper testing kit, and take control of your pool.

We're glad to have you here at TFP, and we hope that you will consider Trouble Free Pool Care to maintain your pool. After two years of yo-yo results from following pool store advice, I now have the most clear and inviting pool I have ever seen.

I again encourage you to read the articles I reference, as well as the hundreds of success stories here at TFP.

Take care,
Dom

The water chemistry was done at the local pool store and all of that chemical combo. was there recommendations in the exact order and time frame they explained. I live in northern Ohio so nobody is swimming for the rest of the season. They said I should be able to put the winter cover on this weekend and open it to clear water. I will have the balance re-checked prior to covering it for good. Sounds like a sales pitch but this particular person at the pool store is the most genuine guy you could meet and only sells me what he honestly feels I need. To the lay person like me it's great to have guys like him and folks like you that are willing to help. For 3 years the only thing I've ever done to my pool is float chlorine around. Mine is very easy to manage and I neglected it for 2 weeks and I've got problems. So I learned my lesson and I just need to get back where I was. Thanks, Mike

ps: Shock and pray is hilarious by the way!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.