Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Flap Rubbing & Sticking

1. Back To Top    #1

Central, NJ

Skimmer Flap Rubbing & Sticking

My new pool has been running for about a month now. I've had two mornings where I went to do my daily check on the pool and I noticed that one of the two (Hayward) skimmer flaps (if that's what they're called) was stuck in an up position (the same one is getting stuck each time), causing water not to go down much that line, and getting air in the system. Each time, I can simply push the flap down and that solves the issue (of course, I remove the air from the system too).

The PB's project manager came by today and said that he removed some debris from the sidewall and that the flapper was working fine after. I got home and checked it out and it's still doing the same exact thing. Prior to him stopping by, he (I'm thinking accidentally) copied me when he emailed a couple of his co-workers and mentioned that he has two homeowners with the same problem (my problem) and that he wasn't sure what to do (which scares me, if he's a project manager).

So, I'm reaching out on here to ask if there's a common way to fix something like this, prior to me going back and forth more with the PB.

In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pacific NW

Re: Skimmer Flap Rubbing & Sticking

It's a Weir door.

If it is spring loaded you might try to see if it can be pushed down a little (vertically)

I had a spring loaded one in my last pool and it would stick to the top position like yours as well,
    but it was catching on a little peice of tile grout sticking out where it shouldn't be.

lowering mine a little fixed that.

can you see what is grabbing it?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

You can often sand down the problem end of the weir and fix the problem.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

Sandpaper is your friend.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

A razor blade knife is a better friend! With his sidekick, Mr. Sandpaper.