Air bubbles in pool when start-up each day - where is air coming from?

BB_Sacramento

Aug 14, 2015
sacramento/CA
I have a Pentair intelliflo pump that comes on each morning, and normally I hear it come on and it's just a normal motor sound. But I recently noticed when it first comes on in the morning a lot of bubbles come out into the pool from the side. After the pump has been on for a couple of minutes the bubbles stop and it runs normally. It's my experience that can happen after I've cleaned my filters or disassembled the pump to clean the basket. I don't understand why this is happening when the pump first turns on and I have NOT opened anything. There must be an air leak somewhere, when the equipment is not running, correct? Does anyone have any advice where I should look? As I said already, it runs normally after the first big "belch" of air bubbles after it first turns on. Once the air is cleared out of the plumbing it's normal and quiet until the next morning when it starts again.

I have a small leak right where my inlet pipe leads into my filter. If I place an ear near the filter I can hear an occasional 'blump' sound as a bubble works it's way up. I get a few secs up to a minute of bubbles from that. I ended up splitting my filter time into two cycles separated by 12 hours. That way the pump isn't dry between pumping cycles.

Actually, for a pool pump of any kind to initially push out air upon startup is fairly normal, even the norm. It simply means that some of the water has seeped back to the pool, through the suction or returns. If you see DE or debris returning thru your skimmer, then that's a problem. You might check your pump lid o-ring as a source of air seeping in upon pump shutdown. But overall, if the pump purges all the air quickly, unless it gets worse, you're okay.

I have the same issue. When I turn the pump on manual for about 6 seconds I hear bubbles from the pool. I turn the manual relief valve and I get air for about another 6 seconds and then I am good to go.
I have checked all the obvious places and found nothing. I also get a little pressure reducing sound when I turn the pump off. I guess like OldPoolMan said it must be a normal thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.