How to Remove Stairs from Above Ground Pool

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Maybe this is a dumb question, but i cant get my stairs out. With the weight of the water they are so heavy. I was going to jump in the water to lift out but the water is so cold i couldn't get myself to do it. Is there an easy way to do this that I might be

We (husband and wife) just did this today.

Are the weights still inside the stairs? If so, get in there and remove them - take a deep breath and just do it.
The weights need to be out of those stairs!
When the weights are out, the stairs are much lighter and will be easy to remove since they want to float.

If it's just water making them heavy, once you start to lift them out (see below) the water will start draining and they'll be easy to remove.

Now... find a helper - one person could probably do it but it will be a lot easier if there are two of you.

Put the stairs against the pool wall like they would be normally.
Move the flanges that attach to the deck so that they're facing the stairs and not the deck.
Now, each person just needs to grab on to the back of the handrail and start lifting them up.
While you're lifting them up, once you get the top stair close to the deck start to angle the stairs back so that you easily rest them on the deck.

The directions that come with the stairs say to put sand. We tried several alternatives, to no avail, and did the samnd. They didn't float anymore, but I too wonder how to get them out without getting in the pool. Thought about taking the railings off and leaving them in. Not sure if that's a bad idea or not.

If they are full of only water and you have a decent air compressor perhaps you could poke a small hole somewhere near the top step and inject air the to force the water out. I don't have steps like these so no idea what you are dealing with other that what I see in the photo so no idea if it would work but it's an idea.

How did you remove them last year?

i didn't ...we just moved in last sept..so first time closing the pool (or a pool for that matter)

- - - Updated - - -

We (husband and wife) just did this today.

Are the weights still inside the stairs? If so, get in there and remove them - take a deep breath and just do it.
The weights need to be out of those stairs!
When the weights are out, the stairs are much lighter and will be easy to remove since they want to float.

If it's just water making them heavy, once you start to lift them out (see below) the water will start draining and they'll be easy to remove.

Now... find a helper - one person could probably do it but it will be a lot easier if there are two of you.

Put the stairs against the pool wall like they would be normally.
Move the flanges that attach to the deck so that they're facing the stairs and not the deck.
Now, each person just needs to grab on to the back of the handrail and start lifting them up.
While you're lifting them up, once you get the top stair close to the deck start to angle the stairs back so that you easily rest them on the deck.

oh man it's gonna be cold! and getting colder...

- - - Updated - - -

The directions that come with the stairs say to put sand. We tried several alternatives, to no avail, and did the samnd. They didn't float anymore, but I too wonder how to get them out without getting in the pool. Thought about taking the railings off and leaving them in. Not sure if that's a bad idea or not.

oh ok--do you know what model these stairs are?

- - - Updated - - -

do you have any scrap wood or 2x4s available to you? You could try to fashion a lever and slowly raise the stairs with that.

i was thinking the same thing...that could be an option.

Do these steps have large suction cups on the bottom? We just removed our steps and my son and grandson rocked the steps first to break the suction. They then were able to lift the steps out. I have one container with rocks attached to help keep the steps from floating, and we don't have to remove the container to lift the steps out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.