First Pump Problem - quick question on replacing (if needed)

Jul 18, 2012
Having my first pump issue since having my pool installed. Pump seems to have died completely. A not quite 3 year old Pentair Whisperflow 1HP single speed pump. Only things I;ve tried are checking circuits, making sure power is being sent and cleaning out the basket and cheking for any large debris that might be blocking something but nothing worked yet. Thankfully, my pool builder is coming out today to check it out for me and he thinks I have a 3 year warranty since all my components are Pentair (heater, filter and pump). He said if it is not covered, he will fight to get something for me. But he is hopeful he can get it fixed with little issue. Hope that is true.

If it is completely dead, I was thinking of going with a variable speed pump since I am reading that they are much more energy efficient. And if I do that, is it OK to mix and match brands? So keep my Pentair filter but go with a Hayward pump (or another brand)? I assume it is but figured I'd ask just in case.

The good news is that my pool chemistry has been so good thanks to this forum that even 4 days without a working pump, my water still looks good! I suppose the colder temps helpa bit though!

Well, pool guy came out to close the pool and check my pump and said it is most likely an electrical issue, not a pump failure. Said that when pumps fail there would be a humming sound but mine has nothing so he thinks the electrical coneection is the issue. And he won't fix that so I need to get an electrician. Hmm....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.