Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool cleaner, aqua bug not satisified.

1. Back To Top    #1

pool cleaner, aqua bug not satisified.

Can anyone advice which pool cleaner works best? Tried the aqua bug and got tired of babysitting it. Most of the time it ended up sideways. Any other cleaners that work better?
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool cleaner, aqua bug not satisified.

I recommend the hand held Pool Blaster battery operated or the Pool Rover or one of it's equivalents.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have both an aquabug and a zodiac wahoo. The Wahoo does a good job, but it is fussy to get working. You have to get the suction set up right, or else it either lies there dead, or climbs out of the pool. Once you figure out what setting to run it at, it works fine, it patterns well and seems to not get stuck at all. It does a good job with fine material, but sometimes it ends up just shoving large leaves around, as opposed to sucking them up. If I want my pool really clean, I vacuum it myself.
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

I went from a Polaris on a booster pump to a Polaris 9400 robot and I wish I had done it years ago. It cleans the floor and the walls, climbs steps, does a great job of righting itself when it flips over, and it picks up the smallest of particulate...even DE. It's really easy to use and clean. My only criticism is that it doesn't pick up large leaves but 5 minutes with a net easily grabs what misses. Price tag is a concern and longevity is yet to be determined but it's going on 3 years now and no problems as of yet.

Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

5. Back To Top    #5

I have dave the diver and was getting the same thing. There is a solution, I started to hang the last hose from the vac on the output return valve. So the the hose that goes to dave was straight when not in use. After started doing this, whalla no more side ways. Try it, good luck.
    Intex 16'x48"
    Intex sand filter, ozone SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for the advice everyone, sadly aquabug has been returned. I'll look into the other suggestions.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

7. Back To Top    #7

My parents AGP pool we have been using the Polaris that floats on the surface and skims the bottom with a catch bag. It connects to the pool outlet fitting. The skimmer still skims since it not a suction side setup. It has worked well for them for 20 plus years. We are on the second one in that time frame.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

I just bought a Aquabug and it worked great. I think the key is to make sure you have enough hose on it. The hose floats making the last section vertical down to the bug. The pool bottom is bumpy (yes, wrong sand. Fixing that this winter) and the seams are not fully glued down. It picked up everything, even large sand grains.
    Intex Ultraframe, 24' x 52", 1.5hp Matrix 2 speed, 21" Hayward sand filter + Intex Ozone Saltwater System, through-wall skimmer, 1.5" PVC return fountain. Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pool bottom is bumpy (yes, wrong sand. Fixing that this winter)
    I apologize for high jacking the thread, but what Hmelton is the right sand for under the pool? I am going to re-landscape mine next spring to make the bottom less bumpy.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

10. Back To Top    #10

Ive been using the Hayward 700 Diver Dave and it works great.