Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think I added too much de...what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Think I added too much de...what to do?

Hi guys,

Back washed my new 6020 Hayward de filter setup. When adding de, I added the 7.5lbs it said on the filter. After reading post on here I noticed you guys say to add 80% after backwashing. Filter appears to be running fine, but should I backwash it out again and start over? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Think I added too much de...what to do?

As long as you're getting adequate flow from your returns you should be fine.

What is you current clean pressure reading as compared to previous clean pressure readings?

You only add the full manufacturers amount of DE when you do a complete tear down and cleaning of the filter. When you back wash, add about half to 3/4 the amount.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Think I added too much de...what to do?

My normal pressure is 10psi after backwash and is currently 12psi...
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Think I added too much de...what to do?

If the return flow is still strong you should be able to get away with it for a little while. When the pressure hits 13 psi I would do a complete tear down of the filter to make sure it had the proper amount of DE. Most filters don't get a full cleaning like they should, at least once a year.

I add 2/3rds of the amount of DE when I backwash mine.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process