Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just filled pool, no equipment yet!

1. Back To Top    #1

Just filled pool, no equipment yet!

I've just filled my 42k gal vinyl pool and in the process of selecting equipment and waiting for my TF100 to arrive. I have been reading up in the Pool School section, and wondering if I should dump some liquid chlorine in the pool to help prevent an algae bloom while I wait for equipment.

As I don't have a test kit, I've no idea how to monitor FC levels, and thus don't know how much to dump in daily.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
    DIY: 35k gal, IG vinyl True L - Pump=SP3200VSP, SWG=DIG-220, Sand Filter=S360T2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just filled pool, no equipment yet!

No equipment at all? Please advise about what needs installing and the eta's. Yikes!

Add enough chlorine to get to 2ppm FC according to PoolMath. If you have no pump, you will need to brush the pool to circulate the chlorine so it doesn't sit on your new liner.

When does your test kit arrive? If it's a while, get a cheap OTO test. That will test under 5.0 FC with pretty good accuracy and will test your pH also. It will cost between 5-10 bucks. Worth it with a new pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

That seems very odd to me that your PB would fill the pool before you have any equipment in place...
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

4. Back To Top    #4

Ale_Brewer: I should have mentioned - No PB this is a complete DIY. It has taken me a year to get to this point and I did not want to go through another winter with an exposed pool bottom. So I elected to drop in the liner and fill it up. Was hoping to have equipment in a little sooner but as with everything life/work/stuff has slowed down my goals a bit.

MarianParoo: Everything need to be installed lol! I'm trying to finalize equipment choices and get stuff ordered. Cheap OTO test like at Walmart? How's this one? You mentioned brushing to circulate, like brushing the walls or using a brush to skim the surface to promote circulation? As no one will likely be swimming, do I need to monitor pH as well?

Thanks for the help guys.

5. Back To Top    #5

Simply put, if there is water in the pool, all chemical levels need to be monitored and maintained at all times. You can use your brush to brush down the sides and bottom of the pool to accomplish some sort of mixing effect since you don't have a pump to circulate the water for you. Chemicals dissociate and dissipate quickly in water but mixing is recommended, especially for stronger chemicals to prevent damage to your interior surface. That test kit you linked to will work fine temporarily but you really need to get a real test kit. TFTestkits.net
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

6. Back To Top    #6

That will work for now.

Get a couple of broom straws and have some one walk with you around the pool and "sweep" the pool. Also get the real pool brush with a long pool so you can stir up the bottom as well.

You can also get a cheap sub pump and put it all the way in so that it moves the water for you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

What Kim said! You can get a sump pump pretty cheap at a local cheap tools store. Just drop it in and you'll have something for circulation anyway.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

That's actually a great idea
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 on the Sump Pump, attach hose, put pump in shallow end and end of hose in deep end
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep in mind that the OTO is not a substitute for a good test kit, but it will do for FC and pH right now. You do have a recommended test kit on order, right?

11. Back To Top    #11

Any updates?

12. Back To Top    #12

+1 for the sump pump and brushing everyday! I did this to move water in my pool around because PB didn't want concrete work going through pipes and filled pool below the skimmer where it sat for 3 weeks until concrete was poured.

I added 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach daily as recommended here and opened to a dirty from concrete but algae free pool! My pool is smaller than yours though so you'll need to add more bleach than that.

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Update: Received TF-100! Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I've been dumping 2gal of WalMart generic bleach every two days or so. Trying best to evenly disperse the bleach as I run around the pool pouring it, and splashing it evenly across the middle. I also brush the pool walls/floors every time I dump bleach. Also have been running a sump pump as suggested. So far the water doesn't appear to be clouding or turning green. Weather here has been 70-80 degrees.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Good Deal! Let's hope it stays good until you can get the actual pump doing it's job.

For practice, you could take readings of your house water. Especilly the water you may use to fill the pool. That way you'll know about stuff like pH, CH and TA that might pprove useful later.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I can picture you running around your pool with the bleach jug in hand! LOL

When will your equipment come in? I am sure the sub pump and brushing is helping with the bleach.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Any pictures? That would be great.

.......... Just missed your sub pump part. Already thought of that. Good idea.
    Last edited by Catanzaro; 10-10-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Missed pump part
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013