Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me pick the right sized pump please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me pick the right sized pump please!

After interviewing several pool builders, we have decided to brave the owner-builder route. I'm waiting on my engineering plans, but based on renderings from one particular builder, the pool is estimated to be about 41,000 gallons. It will be a basic pool with no spa or fancy water features, although it will have a TurboTwister slide and two bubblers.

I'm wanting to pick at least a 2 speed Pentair pump (or VS if the cost and size make sense for my situation) and was looking for some recommendations on size and model. I know enough that I do not want to oversize the pump, but I really don't know what size I need. Our electricity rates here in TX are pretty good, and right now we pay about $0.074 per KWhr, if that makes any difference. Also, we will be going with the biggest cartridge filter that Pentair makes. If there is anything else relevant that I am missing, please feel free to ask.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me pick the right sized pump please!

These are the three possibilities that I'm looking into and would appreciate advice on. I was thinking that a 2 hp dual speed pump would be the right size, unless someone tells me that's overkill in my situation. I don't know all the differences between the Whisperflo and Superflo, but if I didn't just go in for the VS, I thought I heard the Whisperflo is better.

Does anyone have any suggestions based in these options?

Whisperflo:
    h) 1 1/2 hp two-speed (model 011522 or WFDS-6) (+$629.95)
    i) 2 hp two-speed (model 011523 or WFDS-8) (+$739.95)

Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pool Pump 011018 (On Sale For $848.95)

Superflo:
    g) 1 1/2 hp two speed, 230V (=$449.95)
    h) 2 hp two-speed, 230V (=$469.95)
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's a new build, I would definitely go with the Intelliflo. That's what I put on my new pool build about 8 years ago, and I'm glad that I did.

One thing to consider is that the Intelliflo is basically a 3 HP motor (with a 1.0 Service Factor). Most likely, you don't NEED 3 HP worth of flow, so you just scale back the speed. That means that the Intelliflo will spend almost all of its operating life at less than 50% of it's output. Motors last a LONG time when they are run at that low a percentage of their full rating. Amps=heat, and heat is the primary killer of motors.

The superflo variable speed might be a decent compromise, but I think that the Permanent Magnet motor in the intelliflo is superior to the induction motor in the superflo. The Superflo VS is only a 1.5 HP motor, so you'll be running it higher in its power range more than you would with the Intelliflo.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, Peter. I appreciate your insight. It helps a lot.