Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tip for installing Intelliph - PVC hole drilling.

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, NV

Tip for installing Intelliph - PVC hole drilling.

Okay, so I installed the IntelliPH, very simple, except for the step to drill the 1/2" hole in the 2" PVC pipe you have to be very careful. I learned the hard way by using a long 1/2" bit designed for wood. I thought I was being careful, but maybe just a tiny pressure and snap, it chipped out, disaster! Disaster because there is only enough room (about 3/16" each side between the union and coupler) to attach the inlet. I was lucky to be able to glue in the chipped out chunk without having to redo the entire thing from the heater to the Intellicholor (it was nothing but 90's 45's and couplers).

But here's the tip: Start drilling normally lightly enough to get a divot. Then reverse the drill and with light pressure let it melt and scrape to drill the hole. Once through you can drill forward again while the bit is in the hole to clear it out (clearly not touching the bottom of the inside of the pipe).

2. Back To Top    #2

Riverside California

Re: Tip for installing Intelliph - PVC hole drilling.

I have found it best to start with a 1/4" hole, then drill the hole out to 3/8" and then finish with the 1/2" bit. The bits should metal cutting bits and preferably new with sharp edges. Sound to me like you used an aggressive wood bit designed to quickly bore holes through studs to put wires or conduit through.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.