New Build Frisco TX 1st Pool - Intro & Plan Pics

boyzu

Platinum Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Frisco TX
Hello All, I can't believe it's almost 2 1/2 months since we thought we'd be this far along - just about the same time I joined the forum. We have interviewed now with our third PB and researched so many more here and elsewhere. For those who don't know Frisco is just North Dallas.

• The first PB we went into their studio to see the design, but we weren't thrilled and they never tried again or followed up.
  • The second came to our house and said he would send us a design, but never did even after follow confirmations via text saying he was working on it.
  • The third has provided us the following designs (these are actually the second after changes we requested).

They are all very experienced builders from what I read and would be comfortable with any of these, but funny thing is they know each other and recommend each other - for instance #2 told me they would choose #1 or #3 if they didn't build their own pool and that's with not knowing I had already talked to #1.

Well, we like this third builder who came to our house twice now (nice since we have a 1 year old) and worked on the designs below with us. We have not received quotes let alone signed any contract. However, we've approved this design to start quoting.

Really we are building the whole backyard environment and this PB can do it all except for any involved landscaping. Here are some answers to my questions.

1. He requires no deposit, just 30-30-30-10 with the last 10% after all completion
2. Uses thick beam with shotcrete
3. Doesn't like the in-pool cleaning system just use the robot
4. So nothing extra under pool
5. He doesn't provide the exact model numbers on the contract, but says it will be clear enough to look up (will have to see pricing)
6. Uses pentair and likes SWG
7. Doesn't like ozone, but does think UV is good for equipment (not sure I understand how used on pool but I think it's like when you add to your central air?)
8. Variable speed pumps

Once I get his recommended equipment I will bring back here before signing any contract. What else? Oh, we are going with travertine pavers and another thing I like about this guy is that he changed up to bring the decking right up to the fence (will need to add boarding) I don't have the dimensions quite yet, but about 30' x 18' beam to beam and about 8' x 6' spa. The grotto is for our 11 yo Son to jump in at 7' - no head diving!

We don't have a big back yard and with a 5' utility easement and corner cutout for gas meter it's even smaller. What do you think is this pool too small? Everyone seems to say it's not the pool, but the whole yard.

Can't believe I'm finally going to have a pool after nearly 50 years and having swam before I ever walked - growing up it was always public pools. My one condition on the house when we transplanted out here from California 10 years ago was I told the wife we must buy with a pool. Well, you know who got their (her) way. :razz: Probably because she can't actually swim!

Frisco_001.jpg

The design studio doesn't show the interior roof correctly - it will be enclosed but with high arched ceiling with gas radiant heaters.
Frisco_002.jpg

Frisco_003.jpg

Frisco_004.jpg

Frisco_005.jpg

Frisco_006.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

Re: New Build Frisco TX 1st Pool - Intro & Plan Pics

30x18 doesn't sound small to me. From the rendering, I think they've made great use of your backyard. Nice design!

- - - Updated - - -

Are you able to keep the tree in the corner?

Thank you Marla, the actual water area will be smaller probably like 27 x 16 for real swimming, but I was thinking about one thread I read here that some were thinking it small, but I do believe it will feel bigger than it seems.

We wish we could keep that tree, it's our favorite and tallest - just move it. I talked to a tree farm that moves bigger trees than this, but it's a cedar elm and too common in this size. Probably couldn't move it anyway because the roots are very much in the utility easement too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kim, it's always nice to spend money!

Ray

Boyzu, I think the design is going to work quite nicely in the space you have. I see you have a handsome little feller swimming in the pic on your avatar, I'm assuming that's your 11 yr old son, who will be doing the jumping? I bet he's also excited about getting a pool. I think you guys will be very pleased with the design you've chosen. I'm looking forward to watching the progress. Have a wonderful night, and Congrats on your up and coming pool. :)

Thank you Crackerjack, you assume correctly and he is very excited - truth be told we wouldn't be building now if not for him. I'll most enjoy watching his excitement grow as it goes - he just loves to swim. :)

Have a wonderful night as well.

Just got the bid from PB this morning. Here is the breakdown and after speaking with him we threw some big picture pricing on some of the major items. Total Price: $105,675. Kim, if you are reading this I don't think I have any more money for you to spend, seems I spent it and then some! :(

Sounds like he will be able to come down to an even $100K though. He also gave us 8 pages of references with names addresses and phone #'s so almost a 100 people we can call. Nice to know he has done over 400 pools and will be working directly with us along to way as issues arise. He also noted that he does not nickel and dime small changes along the way.

The design doesn't show it, but the spa is to have a curved backrest with 1x1 tile. There is a glass tile upgrade that would be $500 more. And there are only some standard choices for tile and the plaster as given. Any thoughts on other options here?

After reading so much here I am wondering most about the items in bold, do we have the right lighting, what about the # jets, the pipe diameters and numbers, the pumps and the filter? I was surprised he uses a DE filter and he said he thinks the maintenance is the same as with the cartridge, but once a year 2x as long vs twice a year half as long. I know the wife likes really really clean, like Howard Hughes clean, so maybe that is the right one?

I guess the 320 inline is the SWG? Any thoughts on that?

The travertine seems to be very expensive and you can't see on the design specs but we also have it extended as a walkway on the side of the house where the pool equipment will be.

Pool
  • Length 32 ft
  • Width 19 ft
  • Depth 3.5 ft / 5 ft / 7 ft
  • Surface area 426 sq ft
  • 14,462 gallons
  • Perimeter 88 ft
  • 5 pool returns, auto fill, dual main drains, 2 skimmers and 3 LED lights
Spa
  • Perimeter 26 ft, 47 sq ft, 6.5 X 9
  • Raised 12-inch, 6 waterway jets, 2.5-inch suction lines,
  • contoured seating, dual drains, removable fountain and 1 LED light
Equipment $11,000
  • 4 by 160 IntelliFlo SVRS filter pump 2-inch suction lines
  • 2hp whisper flo booster pump
  • 3/4hp Boost-rite pump w/ The Racer pool cleaner
  • 60 sq ft DE filter
  • Easy Touch 8 computer w/ screen logic
  • Master Temp 400,000 BTU heater
  • 1hp Silencer air blower
  • 320 inline chlorinator w/ UV
  • Maintenance equipment
Decking and coping
  • Your choice of standard tile and Oklahoma coping
  • 571 sq ft travertine pavers decking w/ 4-inch drain system - $12,000 if not silver (~$1 sq upgrade)
  • 118 sq ft travertine walkway
  • 8 X 8 concrete pad for shed $800
Waterfalls
  • 5-tons moss boulders set into water w/ 2-person grotto
Plaster
  • Standard colors Pebble Sheen plaster
Misc.
  • Re-route all sprinklers and hook-up to auto fill
  • Install rails on fence and bring up to code
  • Re-route gas to house
  • Install 38 ft BOB 8 ft tall cedar fence w/ sliding gate to match existing fence
Grill Station and Bar Area $8500 + $3000 appliances

• 10.5 ft X 6 ft, 6 ft bar area
  • Standard stone block or veneer on sides of grill station, install all
  • appliances, 6-inch footing and standard flagstone countertops
  • Gas line from heater to grill station
  • Electrical circuit to grill station w/ up to 3 outlets
  • Granite countertops
  • 30-inch Bull grill
  • 30-inch door draw combo
  • Bull fridge
  • Primo XL smoker
Patio Cover - $10,000
  • 13 by 26 Western Red Cedar attached patio cover
  • 338 sq ft
  • Framed in pine
  • 1 by 6 tong and grove ceiling
  • ½ OSB decking
  • Posts 8 by 8
  • Composite shingles to match house
  • All rafters, header, decking assembled using 3-inch screws and approved fasteners
  • Sealed w/ Ready Seal your choice of color
  • Electrical includes 6 can lights and two standard fans

Equipment - Our goal is a low maintenance pool!
  1. Fresh water Auto Fill is included. This eliminates the need to fill your pool manually.
  2. To maintain correct water level due to rain, over flow drain included.
  3. Pentair never lube valves are included. Pentair valves come with a lifetime warranty.
  4. Freeze protection for all pumps included. Automatically engages pumps when temperature drops below freezing.
  5. Whisper flo 2 HP energy efficient filter pump is included. This pump has a flow rate of approximately 120 gallons per minute. Whisper Flow pumps come with a 3-year manufactures warranty.
  6. Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft D.E. filter is included on all Pools. Filter is capable of cleaning 54,000 gallons of water to insure crystal-clear water. Pentair filters come with a 10-year manufactures warranty on tank.
  7. The Racer pool sweep will be installed. The Racer cleaners come with a 3-year warranty.
  8. If pool has an attached spa, a Master Temp 400,000 BTU heater will be installed (includes gas line and hook-up of gas line). Heaters come with a 3-year manufactures warranty on unit.
  9. If pool has an attached spa, a EasyTouch control system to automate operations from inside house and spa side will be installed to enhance your pool and spa enjoyment. EasyTouch come with a 3-year manufactures warranty.
  10. All equipment in by Pentair.

Electrical
  1. Complete hook up of all equipment included.
  2. Waterproof time clock for operation of pool included.
  3. Your pool will be electrically bonded to pool steel, deck steel, lights and pool equipment. This ensures neutral earth ground.
  4. Deluxe 500-watt pool light and 100-watt spa light. Color low-voltage LED lights are optional.
  5. For your safety, all lights are wired in schedule 40 CPVC conduit to a ground fault interrupter (GFCI). The GFCI with 110-volt outlet will be located at the equipment for your convince. A light for your equipment will also be installed.

Plumbing
  1. Your pool will be plumbed with schedule 40 PVC 2” for all suction lines, 2” to 11/2” returns and 11/2” pool sweep line.
  2. A minimum of 5 returns with adjustable eyeball fittings is included. This gives you the ability to adjust the direction of water. Systems properly adjusted will dramatically reduce the amount of debris that reaches the bottom of pool.
  3. 2 skimmers are included.
  4. 2 deluxe main drains are included. The main drains are plumbed separately to the equipment with an adjustable valve.
  5. Independently plumbed pool sweep line included. This eliminates the need to run cleaner through skimmer.
  6. All spas are plumbed with a minimum of six therapeutic waterway jets, dual drains and a fountain that is removable. A Polaris QT air blower will also be installed. (QT air blowers are the quietest air blowers in the industry)

I read and wow! You sure did spend it and then some! I have not comments on the specs. My thing is spending money, cheering you on, giving hugs when things go wrong, oh telling you what to do as each step happens.

So you have spent the money.........

-Telling you what to do---------call the 4th ref. 18th and one from the middle............what would they do different? How did the PB act when something went wrong? Was he really there or got there quick if needed? Did he answer questions? Did he nickel and dime??????

DE filter is the cleanest filter as it catches the most stuff so that should make your wife happy.

Kim

Wow Congrats. It looks like it will all make for one awesome pool. I'm like Kim on the specs, sorry but I can't help you there as I have a cheapo AG pool with a liner that leaks a dozen times a season LOL. But someone will come along soon, and be able to help you with the specs, and equipment questions, etc.

From what I've heard travertine is very expensive, especially in some areas, and there have been a few who have opted for something other than travertine because of the cost, but it certainly is beautiful. My thoughts are if that's what you want and you can afford to get it then go for it because it's something you'll be living with for many years to come, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

I'm so excited for you guys, and I can't wait to see the progress take place. :)

Isn't the Pentair 320 an inline tablet chlorinator? Someone smarter than me can speak up, but I don't see an SWG (I believe that'd be an IntelliChlor to match the controller?)

PS: I'm a newbie here, but I just replaced a Pentair 320 on my pool a month ago, right before I gave up on tablets for bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is a different shape, but very close to that size and we don't feel like it is too small. It's smaller than a lot on here, but we'd actually like a smaller pool for our use (we have existing pool), so I think it's more about how you will be using the pool and the proper design to take advantage of all the space.

I really like the design and material choices, can't wait to see this build.

You said your PB doesn't like in-pool cleaner and prefers robots then he quoted you for The Racer. I highly recommend a robot as it will cost you less than the booster pump and Racer together and you won't have the added energy consumption of running the booster pump which also requires the main pump to be on while cleaning.

In-line tablet chlorinator isn't bad to have for back-up, but definitely need to make sure you are quoted for a SWG. The Easy Touch may be a kit with control board and SWG. The UV feature is really pointless.

Also, I have the same "boulders" set into the water line on one side of my pool. I don't have salt water and these things erode like crazy and are VERY susceptible to moss growing on the dry parts which tears them up even more. I have been told that salt water would degrade them even faster unless we got them sealed and then re-sealed every year. I have also read that sealing won't prevent erosion from the salt. Either way, I would highly recommend not using those boulders at all, but if you have to...keep them out of the water. If you ever get any scaling, the only way to remove it is to have it media-blasted.

That DE filter is the one you want. Your pool will always be clean and you can probably get away with one thorough grid cleaning once a year and 2-3 backwashes per year.

Pipe sizes all seems to jive. Although I have recently learned that if a PB knows how to build a hot tub properly, no air blower is needed. (See this thread)

I don't have any experience with that particular controller interface so no opinions there.

I would see if you can get a cover of some sort over the equipment pad to keep the sun off of it all. The Texas sun is brutal, especially on plastic.

These are all personal preferences and things that I have learned since buying a pool that was already built by someone else. If I had it to do from scratch, I would have done things a lot different. I can't see your pictures, by the way.

Thank you Kim, will be doing just that!

Thanks CrackerJack, we used to have the round plastic I think 12 in deep pool when our son was just 3 this will be an upgrade for sure!

Thank you Foxy for that it's very comforting to know

You said your PB doesn't like in-pool cleaner and prefers robots then he quoted you for The Racer. I highly recommend a robot as it will cost you less than the booster pump and Racer together and you won't have the added energy consumption of running the booster pump which also requires the main pump to be on while cleaning.

Thank you, to be fair I may have assumed robot over the in-pool as I thought that's all there is. What then is a Racer if not a robot? I will ask to change to the I think Dolphin is what most recommend?

Also, I have the same "boulders" set into the water line on one side of my pool. I don't have salt water and these things erode like crazy and are VERY susceptible to moss growing on the dry parts which tears them up even more. I have been told that salt water would degrade them even faster unless we got them sealed and then re-sealed every year. I have also read that sealing won't prevent erosion from the salt. Either way, I would highly recommend not using those boulders at all, but if you have to...keep them out of the water. If you ever get any scaling, the only way to remove it is to have it media-blasted.

Thank you, now you do have us re-thinking the boulders. Do you know any other options for the look? I know you said you can't see the pics, but there is a water feature coming off the boulders too and how else to build the grotto? But I don't want maintenance or mold issues either.

Sorry about the pics, I'm self-hosting them on my website, but they show here for me and it sounds like everyone. Maybe that the host was down for a short bit. Please take a look at http://www.oyozu.com/TFP/Frisco_004.jpg directly to see the boulder layout if they still don't show.

I would see if you can get a cover of some sort over the equipment pad to keep the sun off of it all. The Texas sun is brutal, especially on plastic.

Good good point. I think we can put a nice awning over that side.

I see the pictures now. The boulders are a great look but contact with the water does cause some issues, mainly because they are so porous. I have a grotto that looks just like your design but rocks on both sides. I'm just a fan of nothing touching the water except plaster and tile. The rocks probably wouldn't be so bad if they were there just for looks and not function. It's just so hard to clean algae off all the little nooks and crannies. If you stay on top of your water chemistry it won't ever be an issue but most people aren't that diligent with it. It's just my 2 cents. Lots of people have that same setup in our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and even the back side of the grotto where it's above ground will grow algae/moss. I have to pressure wash mine once a year to clean it off and every time I do chunks of rock come flying off. It makes me cringe every time.

Probably will. I don't much have a very high opinion of PBs in general. They only build the things. Most of them don't ever have to do the fixing afterwards. Just like anything else...the installers do installs and the service guys do service and rarely are they on the same page.

Oh the cleaner: a robot works off of low voltage on it's own. You plug it into the wall and throw it in the pool. Silent and energy efficient. The other style cleaners require a booster pump to operate. It's smaller than your main pump. You must have both pumps running to operate the cleaner and that's a lot of electricity usage. So going with robot is one less pump/motor you have to buy and worry about freezing. You will probably have another pump for the waterfall. Your freeze protect feature will more than likely run all 3 pumps 24/7 if the air temp is below 34F. That's a lot of energy if you have 3 pumps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.